• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Winter Exercise?

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Now before anyone points it out, I know it's still summer, but I can't help begining to consider winter and how my 3 buns are going to get exercise.

Here's a picture of the setup we have:

Image037.jpg

As you can see they Rabbits have the free run of the 6x4 shed, and when one of us is in to keep a close eye we setup a large run for the bunnies attached to the front of the shed. They absolutely love this and Binky about like there's no tomorrow. However I'm wondering how they will get enough exercise when the bad weather starts to set in? We had only just got our bunnies by last winter, as as they were babies I didn't let them out of the confines of the shed until they'd grown a bit in spring (except when one of them escaped and had a good run about in the snow - and even then I froze my bottom off towel drying her ).

What type of weather should Rabbits not be allowed out in? All summer I've let them have a run about as long as it wasn't raining or absolutely soaking on the ground. I have let them out on in the morning whilst the grass has still been wet from dew, but then it has been very hot so they dry out very quickly? What do other people do? Do you let your bunnies out all year or am I going to have to keep them closed up when the weather turns bad? Surely if they have the option of staying in the shed or running about it's up to them and surely they'd be the best judge for what weather isn't suitable - or am I giving them too much credit????

Your thoughts? :)

p.s. They do get a lot of light as if it isn't raining I place some of the bars that make the run over the shed door and leave it open in the day whilst we're at work.

Mine have a perminantly attached run which they have access to all the time. Could you build a perminant run attached to your shed with a catflap between?

They often go out in rain or snow by choice. Their coats do a very good job or keeping them arm & dry underneath though. If you stick your fingers right into the coats it's dry underneath even if they're soggy on top.

Tam

Mine are out all year round. They have a permanent run, half of it is covered, half not and they always choose not to sleep in their hutches, even on the coldest nights. I think we have to credit them with knowing what's good for them!

So (I don't mean to be dim here) they alright on wet grass? I've been told in the past not to let bunnies out on wet grass as it upsets their stomaches??

Tamsin I would love to put a permantely attached run but I would have to make sure it was soooooo well protected as we have loads of cats and foxes around here (a Fox had a pop at them at 15:00 in the afternoon the other week - luckily I spotted him and chased him off before he got near them, they all sat and looked at him and didn't seem a bit bothered).

For the permanent run, lots of people have some similar to aviaries, attached to the side of the shed with a catflap between the two. If you're not great at DIY, you can buy pre-made aviary panels that just need to be attached, and as long as it's on a patio or you put wire underneath, nothing should be able to get in or out.

Yes mine are also out all year in a permanently attached run. We have a fox round here somewhere so you really do have to make sure it is 100% enclosed, and proper latches with padlocks to prevent the fox from scrabbling and opening it. Your picture looks like the PWS stuff, I just bought about another 3 packs and made it totally enclosed, with little wooden props to support it. I've seen someone else has used those panels (as they are very strong) but attached them into a wooden frame to make it easier to open/move. The only thing is that the mesh is too big to be foxproof. Although it is strong enough for a fox to not chew through it, I reckon they could get their paws through it and get hold of a bunny who gets too close, so I've also covered mine with a finer mesh.

I have also just found an online tarpaulin supplier who does clear tarpaulin and when I get paid I am planning on buying some of that so I can cover the entire run in the wet season (so that's until the year 2058 then, yeah?) Having said that, my bunnies have always sat out in the run or out in the garden come rain, snow, hail, gales. As long as they have a choice of somewhere warm and dry, they will be fine. Mine have always chosen the cold!

Mine have a perminant run attached to the shed so they can come and go as they please between 7 am and 11 pm then they are locked in the shed for the night as to many foxes visit our garden, even though the run is secure I just don't trust them and I sleep better knowing they are secure.

Though I will say what ever the weather my buns spend most of their time in the shed .... Their choice :roll: They just seem happy inside though they love to come out around dusk ... wild bunny time

Back