• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how do u intro a new bun

sxfe_121

Warren Scout
ive heard introducing two new bunnies together is hard work...i hav at the moment gucci...who is almost full grown id say as ive had her for a good 4 months now and she is totally intergreated into family life as it were...wud it be an upset and dangerous...to add a baby lion head rabbit...as i hav seen one that i must hav....but if it upsets gucci then theres no way i can get the lion head....any info on tht plz? :roll:

whith mine i took her to the resuce and she chose her pantner no problem been living with each other ever since i was luuckey not all bonding goes so well

Is the lionhead a boy or a girl? The best pairing tend to be girl-boy (neutered) two females or two males can be quite territorial.

Tam

well its a wee little black male lion head and he is adorble... but i refrained from gettin him becuz i was too worried tht theyd fight...plus i no it takes a good 2 weeks for neutering to take affect...and he was only 8 weeks so he still wasnt old enough...never mind...maybe ill take a trip to rspca

I think it's recommended 6 weeks from neutering and that can be done once he's 14-16 weeks so it would be 3-4 months wait altogether :(

You never know what cuties the rspca might have in though :D Then she could pick her friend as well!

Tam

When I got Tui to be Kamis girlfriend, Kami had only been nuetered for 3 weeks but I kept them next to each other in diff runs for 3 weeks and the bonding went very smoothly. :D

ooo i guess wht i cud do...is get a male neuterd...bring him home to live seperately...and while she has the freedom of the garden...he can go in the run...so she can see him...and sniff him but not get to him...she doesnt strike me as an aggressive bunny...but then again..u never know with rabbits...as shes a dutch which are sed to make good foster mothers...do u think they r better suited to bnding...as they must hav a certain acceptence in their genes...or am i reading into it a wee bit to much haha...i guess u cnt really tell

You could take Gucci to a rescue and get them to pair her up with an already neutered male for you. That would save you the worry of pairing her yourself.

Janice

Yeah I agree, if you go to the main rabbit rehome site, you will find hundreds of already neutered males - then you won't have to wait for ages before introducing them! Many rescue centres will also let you take your bunny along and do the bonding there, which would save you the stress of trying to do that, especially as you have a female bunny, who is more likely to be territorial around your house. Good luck!

...how does tht work then? how do they pair them at rabbits homes...do they just throw her in with a male and hope they get along or wht? plus im worried tht once she gets a partner...she wont want to be as close to me? happend with my piggies....u tink tht will happend? :roll:

If you are looking to get a bunny companion for your rabbit contact some local rescue centres and find one which is happy to pair up your rabbit with one of theirs, check also that there are a few suitors for your bunny which you feel may be suitable for her.

Go to the rescue centre with your rabbit and let them pair up your rabbit with one of theirs. They will introduce your bun to one of theirs on 'neutral territory'. Some may require you to leave your bun over night others may not depending on how they are getting on. Rescues who are experienced in pairing up know what to do when different situations arrise and are happy to swap the pairing up bun for another one if things don't work out and most will do so after they are taken home if things don't work out ... this support you are unlikley to get if you got your future buns partner from a pet shop.

Janice

hmmmm....ive got an rspca place in mind...which i know keeps rabbits..how much do they charge u for a rabbit...and also...will she start to pull away from me now she has a mate of her own kind?

Funnily enough mine are now better with me now they have each other. I think they feel that there is a bit of "safety in numbers" and they egg each other on into being nosey and brave.

really? i dunno...i love her to pieces and itd kill me if she went off with her m8 and didnt want anything to do with me...but ive read tht usually tht happends if u dont hanlde or spend enough time with them...probably true ay

Back