• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worried - Freya not eating

happybunny

Mama Doe
Freya was neutered yesterday and since she came home at 2:30pm she has not eaten anything. I am so worried.

I have tried to tempt her with veggies but still no joy.

I told the OH that if I get home from work tonight and she still has not eaten then I will try and get her into the vets. He thinks I am being over protective.

You are not being over protective you are doing exactly the right thing. You are correct in thinking that she needs to return to the vets if she has not started eating. If she has started eating continue to tempt her with lots of 'titbits' over the next few days such as dandelion leaves, herbs and all the normal bits she loves.

Freya hopefully by tonight will have started eating and started using her litter tray.

Janice

Thanks for posting.

I don't think she has done the business yet either. She has made a few wet patches in her hutch but thats all.

I am thinking of going home at lunch time to check on her and get the vet appointment booked if needed.

Only problem is I live 30 mins drive from work. Why do I have to work?

I'd be ringing in sick if I were you! Its no fun being at work worrying about your bunny. Hope the vet can give her something to get her eating again.

Poor Freya. Why not book a vet appointment anyway as it'll put your mind at rest even if she has started eating a little again.
You're not being overprotective, you're doing exactly the right thing.
Hope she feels better soon.

Going to go for a long lunch at 12. Will be home by half past and can either put my mind at rest or get the appointment booked.

The vets know me so I am sure they will fit me in tonight even if they are fully booked.

I was tempted to do a sick but its a new job and I have already bent the rules a few times for the bunnies!

Only 3 hours and I will know.....

Thanks for all your posts

hope she fells better whith peach they gave her some pain killer and this helped can you get her som metacam and try thisoh and i rub the dandilion around her face untill she got mad and ate it made it wet first so she got the fluids in her

I tried the rubbing things in her face (carrot, corriander) method and ended up feeling very mean.

I shall grab a few dandilions and a bit of grass from the garden on my way into the house a lunch time.

We have only had her a couple of weeks and so are not sure which veggies she likes most. Her previous owner told us she would only eat carrot! Will have to pop to the supermarket and buy a little of everything we don't have tonight.

hi

poor Freya - definitely a vet emergency if she's not eating after 12 hours, as she must need more painkiller - if her gut doesn't get moving she may get adhesions inside so it's urgent she eats and poops - can you force feed her mushed up pellets with a syringe? Most important that she drinks too - ask the vet to give her sub cutaneous fluids if she hasn't drunk anything either, and make sure her water is in a dish rather than a bottle - good luck little Freya! :)

good article on force-feeding here - when I did it with Pepsi I knelt on the floor and backed him up between my legs with a towel wrapped around him, then lifted up his front half so I could see his mouth - But hopefully the dandelions might tempt her :)

http://www.mybunny.org/info/gi_stasis.htm

I really hope it does not come to force feeding. I have been there too many times before....

Well I went home and she had not eaten anything. She was sat in front of the watter bottle and I got the impression she had been drinking. I offered her some grass and dandilion leaves and she ate a tine leaf and that was all.

I then offered her some carrot, brocolli and 2 brocolli leaves. She ate the smallest brocolli leaf.

I rang the vet and have booked an appointment for 5pm. I told Freya that if she eats all the veggies and grass she does not have to go.

I really hope the bowl is empty when I get home.

Thanks for all your support.

Come on Freya eat for your mummy, she would also like you to do lots of poops for her as well .... please. It will save you getting stressed out by a trip to the vet tonight.

Janice

All of mine were a bit hesitant to eat after they got neutered, though two also had work on their teeth at the same time so it was understandable with them. I syringe-fed them all, 2 only needed it for the evening/next morning and were eating by themselves after that, it was only the one that needed it for a few days, but he'd had work on his molar spurs so eating wasn't one of his favourite things at the time.
I know syringe-feeding isn't the nicest of things, but it's better than their guts shutting down, even if you only do it a couple of times in the evening so you know she's had something to eat, and this may be enough to give her an appetite.

Well I got home and she had munched on the carrot but that was about it.

Off to the vet we went.

He gave her a multivit injection and gave me some of the science recovery to syringe feed her.

When got home I settled her in the living room and put her food bowl and a veggie bowl on the floor to try and tempt her. I left her for a while but when I came back she had not gone anywhere near them. I offered her a leaf and she ate it and then ate some grass.

Not a lot but its a start, Am just about to start with the syringe.

She is going to hate me already!

You an always make some of the recovery mixture up and see if she will lick it out of the bowl, that sometimes works and save you stressing them out syringe feeding them.

Janice

hi

oh that's a good start - she's not too far gone if she's eating by choice - When Pepsi died I literally had to coax every mouthful of grass into Benny - but he ate it all in the end, so I'm sure she'll be fine with some persuasion - hope the syringing's not too traumatic :?

She had already had a long acting pain killer so he could not give her one today.

I tried offering her the recover to lick but she really was not interedted. She hated the syringer.

We went to Asda and bought a collection of different veggies to tempt her. Chnaged her food and filled it to the top. Left her alone for an hour and syringer fed again. Repeat for another hour. Then when we checked on her a little bit of veg had gone and her bowl was messed up. She is not a big eater anyway so I think this is a VERY good sign. Will leave the syringe feeding until morning and reassess her then.

I will probably come home again at lunch.

Fingers crossed!

Back