• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help!!!

gina paul

Mama Doe
bailey won,t stop trying to hump gizmo tonight . They are both just over 12 weeks old now (defo both males as their baubles are just trying to appear) is it too early to get them both neutered ? Its bad enough that they are both boys but they are brothers as well . tut tut :shock:

how old r they gina? mine done my boys at four months but there plups where full developed!

you may need to get them done asap if you want them to stay togther!

eve x

just over 12 weeks now . bailey is a sex pest , gizmo isn,t even trying anything , i,ve just checked them both and they both have testicles showing although now fully developed . I,ve got the vet on friday so i,ll see about it then .

Get them done ASAP! Bailey is definately dominant, but since he is with a male bunny (Gizmo) the mounting won't stop until after they are both neutered.

gina paul said:
just over 12 weeks now . bailey is a sex pest , gizmo isn,t even trying anything , i,ve just checked them both and they both have testicles showing although now fully developed . I,ve got the vet on friday so i,ll see about it then .

they are a bit too young gina you will have to keep a close eye on them for a while!

eve x

As Eve says if they are not fully down, it looks like you will need a week or so before they are ready to be operated on.

Janice

jrn1310 said:
As Eve says if they are not fully down, it looks like you will need a week or so before they are ready to be operated on.

Janice

janice my vet always says he doesnt do boys until 5 months old but in my case he would do them at 4 month as i had so many rabbits (and did not want accidents happening!)

so i would say they are a few weeks to early, but gina will have to talk to her vet and see what his option is!

eve x

Eve, our vet does all our boys as soon as their testicles have fully dropped. I think it may be probablywhat they feel confident in doing as long as they have fully descended.

The vets we use probably neuters over 200 a year including our rabbits ... I don't know if that makes any difference.

Janice

oh dear poor gizmo!! I would wait and see what the vert says, even if it means booking them in for a few weeks it will at least give you a countdown ;)

yeah , i think ur right , i,ll see what the vet says . they are no where near dropped yet so i could be waiting a while :shock: its not happening all the time tho and they are still very friendly and cuddly with each other , bailey just takes a funny turn and does it for a good half hour at a time !! gizmo does not seem phased at all tho :shock:

I must admit we had to seperate our boys for a while as one tried to 'neuter' the other one (as the vet put it) before we could get them done. We just kept the 2 boys apart (but next to each other seperated with a fence) for a few weeks afterwards and then slowly introduced them again. They've been together since last Christmas and apart from one small spat in the summer, they've been very happy with each other.

It seems a shame to split them doesnt it? I hope the vets gives them the all clear to loose their bits :shock: As long as their is no nastiness all should be ok Good luck let us know what the vet says

especially with them being brothers , they have been together since birth so that is something that i don,t want to do !!

Back