• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbits Fur.

Toby

Banned
Hello,

Can I ask what gets a rabbits fur something like? Ever since I used this flea treatment on Toby his fur has got a bit matted and greasy. I have brushed him but his fur still remains clumped. I haven't tried Rabbit Shampoo though - what is the best kind?

Also, what is the average amount a rabbit should drink in a day?

Toby is fine I am just trying to spruce him up a wee bit LOL.

What flea treatment did you use?, the one thats drops on the back of the neck shouldnt have given you a problem unless u dribbled it all over :lol: .If you have to bath him then i should think any shampoo would do as long as its for rabbits although you might as well use the medicated kind. As for drinking all rabbits are different on how much water they drink,on average mine get through 3 quarters of a bottle a day thats the medium one, but i have ones that drink more. If they are getting lots of veg then they may drink less because theres water in the veg. val

Thanks hon. It was the drops, but he did try shake it off and its made his fur greasy and matty even after washing. His having a bit of a moulting fit at the moment as well :? His going for an all over check up soon, and he is drinking a fair bit, and of course peeing loads :lol:

I bought Johnson and Johnson medicated shampoo for Small Animals from P@H it is supposed to keep away fleas and mites etc. When I had to wash the GG oil off Zeus I used that (double anti-mite protection ;) ). It works well as a general shampoo and really got rid of all the grease and had the added benefit of helping his mite problem.

Caz

the only thing with bathing toby is that the flea treatment won't be as effective as you will wash some of it away.... it will just mean that u may have to give another dose sooner than usual thats all...(but only if u see any little blighters rummaging around!)

Ah thats ok he dosn't need his treatment, I am pretty sure his flea free now :) But I am going to double check with the vet.

Is anyone else’s rabbits moulting bag fulls or is it just mine? I thought moulting season was over lol.

i think a lot of people dont bath their rabbits in case they get distressed, I buy those washmitts for kids, the pampers ones, you wet them and they froth up a bit, I rub them over the bunnies dirty area then wipe again with a damp flannel and dry them in the towel. Bunny is particulary against handling and he copes with that but I think he would freak if I put im in the bath!!

I had to bath Squishy quite often when he was in our quarantine room, since he had a dodgy tummy and kept getting a messy bum. He absolutely hated it! But I've also bathed my Nethie, and he's been a bit more tolerant. The most success I had was when I used a deep cat litter tray instead of in the bath/sink, and then let him hop onto a towel and just apply shampoo to the damp fur while he sat on the towel, plopped him back into rinse it off then towelled him dry.
It is something I'd avoid if possible, as they don't really like it.

I hated bathing Toby, but I never put him in water. I sat him on a thick towel and just dropped small amounts of water on the area needed; they rubbed it in with my hands. Then towel dried after :) But he needed it because his fur was all greasy.

Back