• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Am I doing it wrong

neet

Young Bun
Ive been reading the forums for a long while, and little things have stuck in my mind and made me wonder if im doin the right thing.
Are you supposed to give them breakfast dinner and tea kinda thing?, my buns have a constant full bowl (cos i check it and refill) am i feeding them too much or will they stop when they are full, I have 2 bunnies a lionhead and we think a lop and they get through 1.5kg of food a week.

Mine get 1 meal a day of pellets (evening), one or two meals of veg (morning & evening, or just evening), and hay all day.
They should have unlimited pellets until they've stopped growing - usually 6 months, but longer for larger breeds. After that, it should be limited depending on their weight. Basically, you want to feed enough to maintain their healthy weight, without them getting over or underweight, while encouraging them to eat lots and lots of hay.

Yep too many pellets can make them podgy, also if they eat lots of pellets and don't graze on hay/grass, they won't grind their back teeth down because the pellets don't require as much chewing, so you are more likely to get problems with overgrown back teeth.

I also find that limiting pellets makes for a great interaction time, because they are so keen to get their dinner that they don't mind me hand feeding it to them :lol:

Hiya,

I have two lionheads and go through 1.5kg in about 2 weeks. The packet should have instructions on the back - about 50g per bun per day is a good guide. You can split that into 2 feeds (or three) if you want though. Restricting the food makes sure they eat plenty of hay as well.

Tam

Daisy and the babies I fill up twice a day (they have excel junior) and Bunny and Flossie just get once a day pellets(science selective). Theyall have unlimited hay and a few veggies for the adults.

hi

yes the thing is they will eat more hay if they don't have a bowl full of dry food - hay is better for their teeth and digestion. My rabbits have about 2 small handfuls of pellets a day each - barely covers the bottom of a normal rabbit bowl. They'd eat the sackfull if I let them :lol:

Mine get greens in the morning, and a handful of pellets and some other veg (carrot, brocolietc) in the evening. They have a constant supply of hay.

I put all my bunnies pellets in a treatball. There hay goes in a pile in the litter tray and the greens get spread around the run. Poor things don't get anything in their bowl... makes a good toys for throwing around though :wink: :lol:

Tam

Sophie is given her pellets as breakfast in the morning, she is a little madam, so she know that if she has had them in the morning, thats it and then she will happily eat hay all day :D

She then gets a bowl of veggies in the evening :D

Mine get half a bowl in the morning, unlimited hay, their readigrass feeders get filled up alternative days and they get an assortment of veg in the evening. They also get time out in the run so plenty of grass to eat.

Janice

mine et theres in the morning a small bowl for the lops the nethies have 2oz then hay all day and veg for bed time for the lops nethies wont eat veg

ahhhh i wonder if that why they dont really eat a lot of veggies, they allways have plenty of hay and straw tho.
I will start restricting them now, maybe it will make harry a bit more responsive to me.

My buns get half of their allowed daily portion of pellets at about 7.15 am plus a variety of vegetables, then at about 5 pm they have more veggies, grass and dandelions. The other half of the pellets I saved from breakfast gets given to them at 11pm this I use to get them in the shed for lock up time :wink: They have loads of hay available all day and night :D I think you have to work out what suits your bunny best and stick to it :D

Back