• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So angry......

Vianne

Warren Scout
Hey guys,

I went to my local pet shop yesterday (It is the only place I can get the science selective for £2.75 a bag, its around £4.00 at the vets!)

Anyway, this woman and her kids had bought this rabbit and the guy who worked there was showing them the tinyest hutches ever - like 3 foot or something - It made me so mad because animals should be as free as possible, I felt like going over there and giving them some advice because they didnt have a clue!! :evil:

I really hate going into petshops and listening to the advice that the staff give about rabbits! There is a lady that lives near my O/H and she puts her bun out on the lawn in an upturned Indoor cage which is only abou 1 1/2 ft wide 3ft long and about a foot high! I hate it i always feel like stopping the car and nocking on her door!

Phill, perhaps you could annonymously post her some information. You could pull some pics off the internet showing more suitable rabbit runs.

Could put the info inside a card saying something like:
''As a fellow rabbit owner I thought you might find this information useful''

Worth a try. Worst she could do is throw it away. Who knows one day you might go past and see bunny in a proper run.

Iv'e put leaflets etc through peoples doors on several occassions re all sorts of animal care issues. My last one was on a building site where they have a guard dog. I wrote a letter saying I felt sorry for the dog and put a leaflet in from the RSPCA about outdoor dogs. They have since covered his kennel making a taupaulin carport type of thing. He has much better shelter now. Must admit I later got the RSPCA to go round and check him out too.

I also carry 'Dogs Die in Hot Cars' leaflets which I put under people's windscreen wipers if they have a dog locked in the car on a warm day. At least people will have the info they need to make changes. Ignorance accounts for a lot of cruelty.

Rabswood

Rabswood

I can't understand why they sell tiny hutches anyway, surely the bigger the hutch the more money they can charge for it?

rabswood said:
Phill, perhaps you could annonymously post her some information. You could pull some pics off the internet showing more suitable rabbit runs.

Could put the info inside a card saying something like:
''As a fellow rabbit owner I thought you might find this information useful''

Worth a try. Worst she could do is throw it away. Who knows one day you might go past and see bunny in a proper run.

Iv'e put leaflets etc through peoples doors on several occassions re all sorts of animal care issues. My last one was on a building site where they have a guard dog. I wrote a letter saying I felt sorry for the dog and put a leaflet in from the RSPCA about outdoor dogs. They have since covered his kennel making a taupaulin carport type of thing. He has much better shelter now. Must admit I later got the RSPCA to go round and check him out too.

I also carry 'Dogs Die in Hot Cars' leaflets which I put under people's windscreen wipers if they have a dog locked in the car on a warm day. At least people will have the info they need to make changes. Ignorance accounts for a lot of cruelty.

Rabswood

Rabswood

You know Rabs that is a great idea! Thank you i never thought of that! Dur!!! Brilliant im gonne get some info this afternoon and post it tommorow XX

it s a sad fact that while ever pet shops sell these "boxes" as rabbit hutches then people will buy them as rabbit hutches. i find myself looking round pet shops and inspecting their hutches for size and weather proofing. only thing is then i get mad and theres nothing i can do.

We rarely ever sell a 3' hutch where I work - we've got two, and they've been there for 4+ months. Whenever someone's out looking at the hutches, I'll ask what it's for, how long they'll be in it, etc. and try to help them choose a suitable hutch - 5' if possible, or a 4' hutch that's deeper than regular hutches, to give the bun a bit more floor area. I recommend the same for guinea pigs, if not bigger for a pair.
I know there's a lot of dud petshops - but I don't think it's fair to tar us all with the same brush. You get good staff and bad staff, in good shops and bad shops.

i love my rabbit hutch...its on really high legs and it was home made by one of my grandads friends...and we have had it years ands bin throught every element u can think of lol!...its just so solid the ones in petshops are just tragic...they are practically made of ply wood...and STAPLES !! ive seen in most cases!...im looking for a winter hutch which has 2 levels as with the worsening weather going into the garden isnt looking very good...but finding good ones is hard :?:

I work in a pet shop and i agree that the hutches arent very strong but we rearly sell a 3ft hutch.Most of my rabbits are in 2 storey hutches that are really strong i got them from my local farm shop,they werent cheap but my buns are worth it.Its the same in my area good hutches are really hard to find.

I went into my local pet shop and they were keeping a rabbit in a glass tank. I only went in to get cat litter but I refused to buy anything from them. The rabbit was on it's own and all it had was a huge bowl of mix, NO HAY!

thts terrible...i saw the same in a pet shop in newark...the rabbits were in tanks...i saw kittens in a cage...and its was awful...

Back