• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to clean around the bum area??

Hi,
I had jus taken a photo of my bun's *parts*(I cant tell whether or not it is a boy or a girl!! :shock: ) Think I did it wrong.
But anyway's she/he is looking pretty dirty down there... how do I clean the area, with a warm washcloth?
I'm sooo embarrassed I didnt notice it to be that dirty. :oops: :oops: , until I went to see what I had always thought was a she, who I now think is a he.. isnt a girls supposed to be very much closer together with the small space between part A and part B :oops:

B
*Edited to add the pic!*
P9113770.jpg

id say thats a girl! the boys bit pokes out and is like a cylinder with a flat end. You can try baby wipes to clean the botty area or a wet piece of kitchen towel, try pressing the wet towel on the area first just to loosen the messy bits, then they'll be easier to wipe off.

Coo I have trouble cleaning Tuis bits cos shes VERY fluffy round that area! Am tempted to shave her a bit cos she does seem to get pooey! :roll: I use baby wetwipes or kitchen roll and water if Ive run out! Difficult though with her squirming about!

Errrrrrrrrm do you lot mind - I'm in the middle of having my dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep Baby wipes work brill - I always use the non perfumed ones those but those smell lovely enough - they are great for wiping over the bunnies when they are in moult too :wink:

Hmmm so she IS a girl? I think I did it wrong though, I think I was supposed to hold a bit down on the tail too.. so *it* would pop up if a boy?!?
The only reason I even wondered at her/his sex was when we got her the previous owners said it was a girl... like a goof, I didnt know how to check, thought you just looked at the outside, therefore didn't check.
Then a few wks ago, I adopted another bunny, the people I got her from says she is a girl. And I think they are right, I think she is expecting!! She has gotten a bit bigger belly, and I can see movements in there. Though they say that they're other bun is a girl as well. But she had to be with a boy to be expecting...
I'll be getting some wipes on her today then, hopefully she will work with me , instead of against me

If she gets a dirty bum often it could be because shes too fat to clean it herself :roll: hope you aren't offended! :lol: My rex has a 'weight problem' we call it :p its hard to control her weight and when shes too fat her bum is always dirty because her belly is too big for her to get her head down there and clean it! :oops: Sorry for that phrasing by the way :lol: Shes a slim-jim now after a diet but when she was chubby I would lie her on her back and have some luke warm water, a soft tooth brush and a towel and, err.. clean! :shock: :oops: :D

Please consider getting both bunnies neutered.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

on the gender thing... how old is ur bun? theres no sign of testicles or anything, so unless its very young (younger than say around 12 weeks) it must be a girly

I adopted both bun's before the went to a shelter.
I got Snow on July 31st and BB on August 24th. Both previous owners said they were girls and that BB was spayed they believed.
Snow was a only bun and BB had a friend.. who they say was also a female.
Though now BB has squirming and movement in her belly.
No signs of stasis, not gas, not bloat.. no pain or any other symptoms of illness, even checked for worms in her poo.
I've even given her 5 dys of pumpkin,some pineapple juice with simethicone and belly rubs.. just in case it was a illness. Still the movements. And she has gotten wider...
I had planned on spaying both, if BB hadnt been before, but the previous owners thought she had been, Im just waiting on that atm because it's very expensive.. and I have to save up for it.
Snow is approx 1 yr old. And BB is approx 3 yrs old. Though no one was sure.
Snow is a very chunky bun... weighin in at 7.8 lbs! She is on a diet though and am waiting for some weight to come off. Her dewlap has gotten smaller, and she has trimmed up a bit since I got her.

ahh at 1 yr and 3 yrs old if they were boys u'd be able to see the testicles above their genital opening, so the one in the pic is definitely a girl. what you're mentioning does soung like pregnancy to me... perhaps she was with a boy at the rescue? has she been to the vet? is she eating and pooing and everything? if so i doubt it would be stasis... good luck if it is baby bunnies on the way! :shock: :) i would take her to a vet though at some stage

Back