• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What do you guys do with....

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
What do you guys do with your hay? Do you use a rack, bin...?

I am having major problems finding something to hold the hay that they cant rip down, toss over, and pee on.

Every morning, the cleaning is horrible because the whole bottom of the hutch is covered with peed on hay. Plus, they starve themselves because once they pee on the hay, they have nothing to eat!

I just need some quick help, so if you dont mind just let me know what you use, and if it works! Thanks :D

xxxx Leah and the VERY messy furries

have u tried a little hay rack to attach to the side of the hutch then giving them a blanket as bedding? mind you, if they';ve already started using that area as a toilet they will probably carry on no matter what u put there! :(

I dont use the hay as bedding, they are on linolium...with a blanket(which they dont pee on)

They just rip all of the hay out of their bins, and pee all over it!! I need something to keep all of the hay out of the way, so they cant knock it over and pee in it. I use newspaper in their litterboxes....

anymore suggestions for my naughty buns?

how about hanging baskets (ie what you hang flowers in) hang it up so the can only reach it with there mouth!

hmmmm...thats a good idea :wink:

I'll try it out tomarrow and see if it works. I dont know why I didn't think of that :roll: :lol:

None of my buns will eat the hay if its in a hay rack :roll: fussy comes to mind. They have fresh hay in their llitter trays daily which they eat :shock: and I fill the cardboard boxes that they sleep/play in and they eat it from their too! Seems my bunnies like it right in front of their cute twitching noses.

Darby won't eat her hay out of a hay rack either. Shes an old fashioned girl who likes it put in a pile for her to eat. She does'nt like these new fangled contraptions!! :lol:

Mine hate hay racks, so I'm hoping the hanging basket idea will work. If I just put a pile of hay on floor they will pee all over it, and complain because they are hungry. :roll:

I use a few things a Roll in the Hay which is really good for fine hay.
rollinthehay.jpg

A 'bird fat feeder' which can be stuffed full of hay and then held together with the top attatchement and then hung on the side of the cage or even from the roof of a puppy pen, very good if you are trying to keep hay off the ground and clean or even next to a litter tray.
fatballcage.jpg

Janice

You can get the hay roller at Petco they are about $10.00.
I used a bird suet feeder from Walmart that you can hang from the cage, it was about $2.00 and works just fine,IMO

B

I have a metal hay rack which I got from a local garden centre. Jack tends to pull it off its hangings though, so usually I fill his bowl with grass or hay once he has finished his pellets for breakfast! He has hay for bedding too, he has a dog basket full with hay but he does tend to eat it out of the rack or bowl rather than the stuff he has slept on.

hi

I actually think hay racks and balls are almost cruel - hay is a great toy for bored bunnies - apart from eating it, they like chucking it, burrowing in it and yes unfortunately they pee on it - but it's a good toy in the process and makes a comfy bed for them to loll on - When I come to clean my bunnies litter boxes after about 4 days, the bottom layer of hay is yeugh! Sopping with wee - but the top layer is clean and dry, and they sit there and eat the fresh hay I give them every morning and evening...It keeps them busy for hours and seems to be their favourite thing in life :)

For many rabbits and guinea pigs they won't eat hay if it has been on the floor and is messy, my guinea pigs get their readigrass or timothy hay in either a roll in the hay dispencer or a bird feeder. They also get hay in their hutches on the ground as part of their bedding which they can play in or just sleep on. Whilst some won't eat their bedding, many will eat the hay out of their hay container, for these animals their hay intake is actually increased by having it in something.

If I put long pieces of hay in a bird fat feeder it sticks out all over the place, normally the favourite place for my foster piggies to hide is under the bottom of the bird feeder hidden by the hay.

With the large numbers of piggies we often have at ARC it is impossible (financially) to keep them all on timothy hay, if we use normal hay for their bedding and then readigrass and timothy in their hay feeders then they can have both.

Janice

Snow is a funny bun, she wont eat the hay off the ground, but uses it as a new litter area. So I hung up the bird feeder and stuffed it with hay, and it works for her. Now BB she has a hayrack, and she pulls out select peices of hay to eat, leaving the rest for the floor. :lol: !
I recently set up a quicky nest box..(though I realize it may be too soon). She messed in it a bit. So, I took it out and what did Snow do?? Jumped in the box and started munching the hay.. I put her back in her cage, turned around and guess what I found...
:shock: :shock:

ShadownAngel.jpg

for the hay balls you could try ebay, plus you could alway give them extra hay to play in

Back