• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kirkby Receives 30 Bunnies

Delphinum

Warren Scout
Hi there,
Kirkby has had an influx of 30+ rabbits in the last week from a woman who was breeding them for a pet shop. The pet shop has now turned around and said they don't want them anymore (that time of year again!). So she rang us.
There has been a whole lot of hassle with this woman, she's bred ones with teeth problems, so this may appear in offspring, there are 3 litters (one 3 weeks old, one 14 weeks old and one 16 weeks old) and she has left all babies in with the mothers... so some could be pregnant. :( Not only that but one has head tilt (I am now nursing her back to health at home) and her boyfriend helpfully told us that he was going to hit it over the head with a spade, but decided to let it die slowly so that it was in pain. :evil: You can imagine my contempt for these people.
They were in 2 x 1 ft hutches, some of which had been halved to accommodate more rabbits... even the ones with litters in were in the 2 x 1 ft hutches, bearing in mind these litters are 4 - 5 rabbits each plus mother... not big enough for any rabbit IMHO.
Unfortunately the woman is still left with some rabbits as she won't give them to us, so I fear she will continue breeding. :( Her bf has also said that she'll just go and buy more this weekend... :roll: :evil:
Is there anyone out there who could take a few of these rabbits into their home and love them like they deserve? We really are at our capacity now and we don't think this is over yet... :cry:
The rabbits are all mixed breed, some lionhead, though most are up eared fawn, black and white buns.
Thanks for reading my little rant... :wink:
Ang xx

so sorry to hear about your problem unfortunately i am not in the positon to take anymore on a perminant basis at the mo. but did wonder what this time of year has to do with dumping rabbits it seems like ever month there is another excuse, xmas, easter, summer hols ect there finished so what is it now kids at school! :shock: :evil: :evil:

Yeah I know what you mean, every excuse in the book... the pet shop won't take them coz people generally don't buy after the summer coz they don't want to be outside cleaning them in the rain... so that's why she's in the predicament she is... The pet shop made a deal that they'd take bunnies if she bred them. But then again, she should've checked before breeding them. :?

Delphinum said:
Yeah I know what you mean, every excuse in the book... the pet shop won't take them coz people generally don't buy after the summer coz they don't want to be outside cleaning them in the rain... so that's why she's in the predicament she is... The pet shop made a deal that they'd take bunnies if she bred them. But then again, she should've checked before breeding them. :?

charming so they cant have them in the summer because they are on holiday and they cant have them the rest of the year cause its p***ing down but they can buy them in the first place! yer i get it now - NOT!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Someone should tell her to get off her xxxx and get a proper job.
If someone would like to pass on details I'll gladly be that person.

Perhaps she has an actual job as well and this is a bit of a side line, a way of making some extra money for the hols. No thought for the bunnies, obviously doesn't care who buys them from the pet shop... just give her the money

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Rabswood

Poor, Poor Bunnies - at least they are now safe and I hope homes will be found for them soon - what a shame life isn't more precious eh :roll:

Have you contacted the council? If she's breeding to sell to a petshop there might be other things they could catch her out on.

I'd also go around the petshops - if no one will take her babies she'll have no choice to stop.

If something isn't done to cut it off at the sources she'll carry on producing the cute ones will go to the petshops and any spares/sick/to old will go to you and it won't stop.

Tam

hi

horrible people :evil:

When that breeder wanted to offload 5 bunnies to me the other week I had to decline - it would have been the start of a flood I'm sure, once word got around :(

I don't know what you can do with these people - rabbits are just throwaway toys as far as even the government is concerned - vermin as far as farmers are concerned - I despair really - you can only do so much, and have to avoid thinking about the ones you can't help :(

Even the RSPCA don't do anything about these people - maybe the taxman would like to know about their 'extra-curricular' activities? Or the DHSS?

just makes me mad why breed if you cant get good loving homes for the babys sorry cant help i have 6 at the moment and these are anougth for now untill a new shed gets built

Im pretty sure that if you breed rabbits to sell in a petshop that you need to have a licence. I could be wrong but as Tamsin said.. maybe worth talking to the council/environmental health about it. Sounds like they are being kept in appauling conditions too :( I hope you are able to find nice homes for the ones you have managed to save

Just thought I'd let you know that this lady is still breeding and phoned last week to ask if we'd take some more. :? :(

that is horrible! i thought u had to be registered to breed rabbits and they checked the conditions of your pets! my bunnys had a babies by accident last year and it took me long enough to find homes and then i was picky i took the buns to them and walked away a couple of times as i wasnt happy with the people! how can people treat such lovely cute and intelegent animals with no respect! :evil: im glad they are with you now!

Back