• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

so cross (UPDATE-SHE S RINGED)what does x stand for

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
had a new bunny brought in yesterday. she was left at one of our charity shops with a story that i d said they could leave her their (i never even spoke to them) her nails were so long that she could hardly walk. her front ones were over an inch long and curled right round and her back ones were worse cos they were thicker and 4 had snapped off.
Shes a litlle netherland and realy sweet . we havent handled her other than cutting her nails cos she was very scared but her tummy feels a bit big and hard . the last one that came in feeling like that had 2 babies the next day. oh well we ll see .
My grandaughter named her tansy.

it gets me so cross that people can neglect their pets like this. it took less than 5 mins to cut her nails and she didnt even wriggle.

angie

Its hard to believe that people can be so uncaring, but I suppose we have to be thankful that they realised they cant care for this bunny and so at least she gets a 2nd chance to have a happy home. :?

Until I started rescuing I didn't realise how uncaring and horrible some people can be. It is very sad that people can inflict pain and suffering on animals. I suppose you get use to it and now nothing really surprises me but it still makes me angry.

Awwwww poor bunny - but at least she's in safe hands now - I hope you find a loving home for her, sounds like she deserves a second chance at having a life where she's well cared for.

poor little thing dont think shes been handled much. wont let me near her this morning , just keeps running off and trying to burrow into corners.

well as i said last time Tansy was very scared so we didnt handle her other than cut her horrendos nails. She seemed a bit more settled today so i took her out to give her a good check over and guess what ... she is ringed.

so what exactly does this mean . do breeders ring all their stock even if they re selling them on or does it mean she belongs to a breeder who has been neglecting her . She certainly couldnt have been shown for sometime with nails like that!!!!!!!!!!

Angie

Awww poor bunny.

My first 2 rabbits were from a breeder (this was about 20 years ago now!) and they were both ringed, so I guess all breeder bunnies can be ringed. Could it be a way of tracing the owner? Presumably the ring number is registered to a breeder, who may at least have some information on who the rabbit went to? Perhaps then they could be reported to the RSPCA, or at least the breeder might realise that they need to be a bit more careful about where they sell their rabbits!?

She'd be rung even if she was passed on to another owner. You could trace the orginal owner via the BRC but it's probably not him/her that did the neglecting - they may have a record of who they sold it to though.

The ring with also have her breed and year of birth coded on. If you post the ring number her someone will probably be able to decode it for you :)

Tam

thanks Tamsin will do that maybe tomorrow. will be helpfull to know her date of birh. i know one thing, who ever had her is not getting her back poor little thing.

The rings are easy to read ,the first thing on the ring is brc, then the year the rabbit was born, then there will be a letter that is for the breed, the numbers after that are for the owner.As tamsin has said and as i do, is to ring the rabbits i intend to show but at a later date the rabbit may not turn out to be quite good enough for showing so may be sold as a pet, the ring is left on because if its the correct ring for the breed it should not cause any problems. An example would be: brc05C022958 this would be a rabbit born this year, the c is a dwarf lop, the numbers after are issued to the owner, and are regestered in there name. val

breeders who are members of the british rabbit club( i think) can put a ring on their rabbits to register them .it is a small band of flat metal which goes around one of the rabbits back feet. i thought it just said who had bred them but i ve just been informed that it also records the year they were born and the breed.

we ve looked at tansey s ring and it says brc 03x
i take it that means she was born in 2003 which makes her about 2 year old . what does the x mean breed wise . we are pretty sure she is a netherland dwarf.

doesnt x mean cross? as in cross breed? only saying that as i saw it on the main rabbit rehome site describing some wild x buns (wild cross)

I thought that rings were only for registered rabbit breeds, so x wouldn't mean crossbreed in the context of a code on a ring.

Back