• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mishka has just had a fit! :-(

Jeremy

Wise Old Thumper
Thank God the forum is back online. We were just giving Mishka her fly check / bath when she suddenly started fitting and spasming into extreme positions. We thought we were going to lose her :cry:

After about 2 mins the fitting stopped, and she gradually calmed down. During the fits though, when she was able she seemed to reach around to her side and try and bite her side as if she had pain in her gut.

We rang the emergency vet number and he said to leave her 5 mins and ring back. She was still ok after 5 mins, so the vet suggested either an epileptic fit, or gut pain, for example stasis.

Mishka has been eating fine though, so we don't think it is stasis. He tummy is quite distended though for whatever reason and has been getting worse for months. We suspect a tumour, but the vet has said he cannot do anything even if it is, so we decided that as long as she is not in pain and has a good quality of life, we will do our utmost to keep her going.

This has knocked us about a bit though to be honest, and we are now wondering whether the time has come. We could not live with ourselves if she was made to suffer pain.

Has anyone else has experience with fitting? Does it occur without mishap, or does it usually forbode serious decline?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Really sorry about Mishka i hope she's ok. Im sorry i don't know anything about fits but would it be possible to take her to the emergancy vet tonight to get her checked out? Hope everything is ok x

so sorry to hear about mishka's fit jeremy, sorry i cant give an reasurrance because i have no experience with this but i wish her well!

Eve x

ps. Also should say that the vet mentioned EC, although she has already been treated with Panacur.

Aww, poor lass and what a shock for you!

I've heard of cases when as bun has had a fit and then it's never happened again - total puzzel and no obvious explanation.

EC can cause seizures I think.

Might be worth getting a blood test to check all the organs function etc.

Best wishes,
Tam

like most of the others here I have no knowledge of fits but I wanted to let you and caz and the bunnies know I am thinking of you xxxxx

Aww Jeremy - it is very frightening to see them fit but we have had and still have some buns that fit. It terrifies me all the time and you never get used to it.
When you are doing her fly check routine or any bathing keep a towel or bit of wood handy - pop this into her mouth if she starts the biting as once they get hold of their sides or paws they can do a lot of damage. I always go to pieces but John always tells me to talk soothingly to them - they need to know your voice as they are coming out of the fit and if you are panicking and crying then they do not know that voice - so you have to grit your teeth and talk to them as normally as you can. When the fit is over she will be disorientated for a while so let her come around then see if she wants a drink. Our Barley-Bun has fits and he gets cuddled by me until he comes around properly, he then wants to go back down on the floor and has a drink and then a snooze to get over it.
Scoot does the same - but Scoot is so sensitive to having his underneath touched now that we have to be very quick and extremely gentle or he fits and stops breathing.
You may have to stop bathing Mishka - it can bring the fits on. It did with our beloved Jacob (ATB) and it does with Scoot. Using baby wipes has sorted that out but it still has to be done extremely gently and quickly.
Fitting can be a cause of Ec but it can also be due to pain around the tail area - they are really sensitive in that area and a sudden pain there can make them fit.
If her tummy is distended and it is getting worse but she is eating, drinking, pooping and weeing as normal then it could point to a tumour - our Tilly-Mint had a large tumour but as you know, she lasted a long while.
We really do know how worrying it is seeing them fit but by being prepared for this happening again you can help her. The biting at her side will have been just her wanting to clamp on to something - that is why we always have a flannel, towel or piece of wood ready.
Sending lots of healing vibes to brave Mishka and lots of calming ones to you both. - xxxxx

Hi Jay,

Just to say thanks for your post, it has really helped take the shock of the situation off as you have obviously been through it many times. As you say it is extrememly distressing to watch and we honestly thought she was dying :cry:

Having read your description it sounds exactly what happened with Mishka. We were in the process of removing the matted hair by her tail when she started, so we must have hurt her inadvertantly (even though we try to be as gental as possible :( )

Unforunately I think we will have to keep bathing her at least, as her back end gets filthy with matted faeces, as she cannot clean herself, or stick her bum out to poo. I'm making it sound like she's a neglected, filthy bunny, but other than her dirty back end and legs she's a happy bun. :?

Anyway, your post has made us realise that she's not dying just yet so thank you again, and thanks to everyone else who has posted too. :)

(And thanks to Tamsin for getting the forum back up and running :D I have it as my home page so it was interesting to see it gradually come back up as Tamsin worked, and to see all the users circling like vultures ready to post LOL! :lol: )

Glad to have been of some help Jeremy :D more glad that Mishka has recovered well from it :D
About bathing - have you ever tried a dry bath with Mishka :?: We have to do this with some of our buns sometimes and even Scoot - this is very gentle and does work :D I doubted it myself at first but couldn't believe how it cleans them up.
Here is the link on our site: http://tinyurl.com/ex8oo
I know the Americans call it cornstarch but we use cornflour - it's the same stuff :D

Aaaaaaaaw, Jeremy and Caroline, I am so sorry that you had this experience and even more sorry that sweet little Mishka suffered it. :cry: I was worried about all the folks who might need help or support over the last few days, you really do get to rely on this place. I am so glad that Jay has been able to give you such wonderful help, I had a feeling when I started reading that she might be able to give you the benefit of her experience. :wink:

One thing I would add is this: you mentioned your concern over keeping her going when she might be in pain (this was something which constantly worried me with Harriet) but a bunny won't eat if she is in pain so I think the fact that she is chomping is a really good sign. :D Folks always said to me, you will know when the time is right and I could never quite imagine it somehow but I did and I have no regrets whatsoever, I just wish it hadn't had to happen.

Please give Mishka a very gentle snuggle and nose rubs from her Auntie Lizzie. xxxx I am sure you must all feel quite drained after such a horrid experience, so sleep tight all.

Thanks Lizzie. You make a good point about the pain.
I have just tucked them into bed for the night and Mishka is chomping merrily away so she seems fine now. :)

Thanks for the dry bath link Jay. We will give it a go although I must admit I am sceptical as to whether it is up to the job of a "Mishka" ;) :lol:

Maybe giving her a poodle style cut around her bum area would help? You know - a pompom tail and feet and short inbetween? You don't have to shave her totally but maybe a trim down to a third/half an inch would help. Some buns seem to have quite a bit of longish fluff around the tail even if they're not long haired bunnnies.

Tam

Awwww Jeremy :( I am sorry to hear about Mishka.. I hope that she makes a good recovery...

And wow Jaypot, what a great post :wink:

Awwww Jeremy and Caroline - give this little girl a big hug from her Aunt Lany XXXX - Glad to hear things have settled down a little bit but I can imagine how distressing it was for you both to see her like this, but some great advice here as usual from the mega experienced bunny folks - what would we do without em eh :wink:

I'll keep fingers crossed its just a one off for her, your both billiant with her and I think you'll just know when she's ready to leave but not just yet awhile by sounds of things :wink:

Sending hugs to you both.

Oh Caroline and Jeremy im sorry that your little girl was not well but glad she is better now, give her a little snuggle from us up here XX

Back