• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Experienced Rabbit Owners Needed.

Rspca Medway

Warren Scout
We have four rabbits in at the moment all with different stories and from different areas but need the love and care from experienced rabbit owners.

Berry is a white a grey, medium size lop, who is very tempremental, she is friendly on her own terms and doesn't mind being stroked, but not keen on being handled although you can. She was found loose on a field and we reckon she was left there to fend for herself, because of her temprement. She does occassionally growl, but never biten anyone. She could be matched up with a buck, but she likes to be boss, so needs quite a laid back bunny or one that will put her in her place. We have no age on her as she was a stray. She is vaccinated against Myxi & Vhd.

berry13.jpg
RE-HOMED

Thomas is a medium size, tan and white lop. He only a year old, but was a childs pet who lost interest after only having him a few weeks. He was then left in a cage where he got no handling or human contact only to be given food. He also had no access to a run and was left in these conditions for 7 months before the owners signed him over. As you can imagine he is very scared and doesn't like being handled. He needs lots of reassuring and love. He is vaccinated against Myxi & Vhd.

Thomas.jpg

Thumper is a brown and white, medium size, 8 month old, lop rabbit. Another childs pet that went wrong. She is a very nervous rabbit and the people who had her had very young children. What we know, is the rabbit jumped over the shoulder of the little girl and scared the kid who then got frightend of the rabbit. The child use to shout and chase the rabbit around the garden before the rabbit started to get very aggressive towards the children :roll: Thumper shows signs that she wants to be affectionate, but too scared to let people near at the moment. She is very hard to handle. She is vaccinated against Myxi & Vhd.

Thumper.jpg

Dolly is a brown and white, medium size, 1 year old lop rabbit. She is an extremely scared bunny. We know she was signed over as an unwanted pet, but do not know her history. She very grumpy and growls a lot. She did lunge at one of the saturday girls but didn't bite. She can't be handled at the moment although we are working with her, you can stroke her though. Needs a patient, understanding home. She is vaccinated against Myxi & Vhd.

Dolly1.jpg
RE-HOMED

We do not ask for a set fee for our rabbits, we just ask for a donation.

To arrange a viewing, please contact Rspca Medway West Small Animal Centre

Rspca Medway West Branch
174 Walderslade Road
Walderslade
Chatham
Kent ME5 0PQ

01634 681187

Charity Number 209192

www.rspca-medway.co.uk

i'd love to have thomas but paul says no five are enough. i'm working on him though and told him about phills 21!, makes another one sound like no trouble!!! (although i haven't told him that we'd also need a girlfriend for thomas). off to make him a cup of coffee now, i'm going to be extra nice until he says yes, wish me luck...

Those poor bunnies, what awful lives they have had so far.

I'm sorry, I don't have much room for another at the moment, I hope they all find loving homes xx

A local Vet nurse has taken Dolly as she was the most aggressive and bit two people at the weekend. This is because she is terrified of people and anyone making sudden moves towards her she started to lunge and bite people. This lovely lady has taken our frightend bunnies before so know she will have a good home :D

We are very quite at the moment, we haven't got many bunnies in so we have been trying to work with these a lot.

Berry: - She will run around her run when someone first goes in there, but after sitting with her for a while she let me put her on my lap and sat there for quite a while. She needs time and patience.

Thomas: - I sat in with him on saturday and he was happy to sit on my lap for a while what is a great improvement, from when he first came in. He is also more relaxed around certain members of staff, so proves he just needs time and reassurance.

Thumper: - She is showing the most progress, although she occassionally slaps you with her front feet this is due to fright more then anything. She doesn't like people approaching her from the front and acts like she been hit in the past as she cowers back, but is happy to have the back of her head and back stroked. We do not want to stress her by attempting to pick her up yet, but is improving everyday.

:D :D Berry found a home with a lovely lady who has had rabbits for 18 years. It was amazing how this lady just went in a sat with her for about half an hour. Berry was growling to start with but with in 20 minutes this lady was sitting crossed legged with her on her lap, Berry was so calm with her and the lady works from home so is going to work with her everyday (thats what she really needs). So we are all very happy with this out come :D :D

Thomas & Thumper are having at least a 15min period each day of where some one will just go and sit and stroke them and this is helping sooo much :) Thomas will come to you once you have been there about 10 minutes, but most surprising is Thumper is actually coming to the front of the run for attention. Thumper now you can stroke anywhere and now really concentrating on gradually picking her up, but this really stresses her out. Thomas you can pick up, but he really struggles to start with, but gradually calms down.

We just need time and patience :D :D :D

That's really good news. These bunnies deserve some love and care, and they're certainly getting plenty of that! It just shows doesn't it, that it's not the bunny's nature at fault, but the way it's been treated. Funny that - I feel the same way about children......Definitely nurture, not nature.

Well done Amanda. I truly believe buns such as these just need time and patience which you are obviously willing to give. I love it when a 'more difficult' bun comes around and can accept our adoration! Keep up the good work and I hope you are feeling better!

Alice x

I do agree, we do get many aggressive or hard to handle rabbits in and believe or not members of the public do say to us "why don't you put them to sleep" "they will never get homes". We wont put a healthy animal to sleep and usually they just need time and patience. If we put in many months of work and we still can't get near the rabbit, then we have a lovely man in London who has huge runs / pens where the rabbits can live where they will not get stressed by a great amoumt of human contact (but this is our last result).

I must say only once we put down an aggressive rabbit, this rabbit bit staff 47 times before my clinic manager said it was dangerous and unpredicable, to a stage if you went more than 4 foot towards it it would lunge and bite. This was a very hard decission and want to prove we do, do everything we can first. This was the right decission to make as she was sent for a post mortom and it came back as she had a large brain tumour, the vet said we wouldn't of been able to do anything and she was probably in a huge amount of pain. So this just proves there is usually a reason for a rabbit to be that aggressive.

Oooh my goodness, that poor darling. Yes I know that your section of the RSPCA is outstanding and you must get so fed up when you hear complaints about the RSPCA. All branches are different and it depends who runs them. Well done to the Medway, you are so caring.

I have aggressive buns here too and, as you say, there is always a reason why. I have a scar on my arm from a rabbit called Sam. He was dreadfully frightening. I homed him to a lovely lady who came and adopted 5 piggies from me a few months ago and she actually said how special he was and she does not know what she will do when he dies. I hate to say this but he worried me sick! I had to clamp a stick between his teeth and me to get him off!! I am a dreadful wuss and I hate pain, but I do not know what his background so poor little chap probably had excellent reason.

Anyway all is well that ends well. After his first wife (Sam's wife that is)died his owner adopted an extremely gentle bun from me called Lolly and they live in harmonious bliss!

Alice

Thomas is still looking for a new home. He is really good now and will be stroked without getting too spooked. We can pick him up but he is still not keen on leaving floor level.

We have sad news for Thumper, she has been having good days were you can stroke her and even pick her up and then days where she had started to lunge and threaten to bite :( . After keeping a close eye on her we noticed the days that she turned nasty she was grinding her teeth like she was in pain. She was seen by the vets and been diagnoised with a moving rib cage and hip problem. She has been put on some medication to see if this helps, but seeing the vet again next thursday for a possiable x ray and to see if we can stop this bunnies pain :(

Rspca Medway said:
Thomas is still looking for a new home. He is really good now and will be stroked without getting too spooked. We can pick him up but he is still not keen on leaving floor level.

We have sad news for Thumper, she has been having good days were you can stroke her and even pick her up and then days where she had started to lunge and threaten to bite :( . After keeping a close eye on her we noticed the days that she turned nasty she was grinding her teeth like she was in pain. She was seen by the vets and been diagnoised with a moving rib cage and hip problem. She has been put on some medication to see if this helps, but seeing the vet again next thursday for a possiable x ray and to see if we can stop this bunnies pain :(

:cry: Poor thumper, could this be where someone has kicked her or would she have been born with it :cry:

We will not know until she has been x rayed and we can see what damage there is, but at least we know now why she is being aggressive, the vet said that if she jumps around in certain ways she must be in a lot of pain :( .

Amanda have pmed you about thumper, thins is a visual reminder to pm the results once you know

thanks eve x

Unfortunately Im posting very sad news about Thumper :cry: She went to the vets on Tuesday and had x rays after the vets could feel her rib cage was moving, when they looked at the x rays there were two large masses, one huge one under her ribs and a smaller one in her stomach. While she was still under the anthestic, they took cell samples and bloods to see excaxly what it was.

Well the results came back friday and the mass that was causing her rib cage to move was a cancerous tumor and the small mass was the cancer starting to spread :cry: It was very sad and she was put to sleep today, to stop her pain and suffering. The really sad part was as the tumour was hiding behind the ribs there was no way of knowing it was there until she had the x ray done :(

Although she could be stroppy she had personality and tugged at many heart strings. We now know that her temper was down to pain :( We were extremely sad to lose her and three of as cried whilst she was PTS.

Rest in Peace Thumper - Run Pain Free at the Bridge :love:

Back