• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

nails, big problem

LoppyLugz

New Kit
I have a rabbit, he is 15 months old.

My problem is his nails.
They are very long and begining to curl quite badly, but i cant cut them.

What should i do?

I have asked someone to restrain him but he jumps away.
I tried a towel but he struggles out.

I cannot afford to get a vet to do them, and have no garden so he cant get him to ware them down on slabs.

Help!

hi

I don't think a vet charges much for this, just a few £'s - the vet nurse could probably do it in fact - have you asked the receptionist how much it costs? Also you could look for a local rabbit breeder that's used to handling bunnies and she may only charge a few £'s to do it too - Have you tried backing him up between your legs as you kneel on the floor, with a towel wrapped around him? If his back's towards you then it's easier to get a firm grip and your legs stop the bunny flailing out sideways and away...But I wouldn't like to do it :?

I found it a lot easier to do my bunny's nails with a "guillotine" style clipper, rather than the scissor style. I just disctract him, and do one at a time, when i get the chance. Sometimes it takes a week to get them all done....but it means he's not stressed out when I do it. It sounds like your bunny's nails are very long, so for the 1st cut, you could probably get away with cutting them in line with the fur, so then you won't have to worry about catching the quick if you and the bunny are a bit nervous about doing it.

where do u live? maybe one of us is close enough to give you a hand. or how about asking your local rescue centre if they clip nails?

I think it only costs about £5 to have them cut.

But it does concern me if you cant afford this how will you cover any other vet costs or vaccinations?

The best way is to cut it youself. Most rabbits that I know hate to have me holding their paw to cut their nail. I use a large size nail clipper and cut one paw at a time, usually do two paws on one day and the other 2 on 2nd day.

You must cut them or else if they are too curled, they can break at the root of the nail and blood will come out and there may very well be an baterical infection and no douct causes even more money.

In my very first rabbit, I didn't cut the thumb nail because the thumb nail itself is short in comparison to the other nails, but the truth is, it is long in relative to the size of the thumb nail itself. In the end, in one incident, it broke at the root, and I feel bad when that happened.

Make sure you cut it under the sun so you see the blood vain under the nail, you can't cut too deep, the right thing to do is just cut a little bit at a time, DO NOT cut too close to the end of the blood vain.

Back