• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby Kia- Sad News

gil

Mama Doe
Hi

just to say that unfortunately Kia did not survive her gut stasis as her condition became worse with her tummy becoming extremely bloated. despite our efforts and the vets she was in a lot of pain and this morning I had to end her suffering at the vets. I am in the process of picking her a nice spot in the garden.
When we got Kia we also got Mischa at the same time so now Mischa is on her own. I am not sure what to do as she is aware that something's not right, she has been given loads of cuddles, but do I get another bunny to bond with Mischa or do I leave it for a while? although Kia and Mischa weren't together that long they had already bonded. Mischa is only 11 weeks old.
Thanks for everyone's advice/help with Kia, I am really sorry it wasn't a better outcome for her.

aawww im so sorry little Kia didnt make it :( You certainly did everything you could for her. I hope Mischa is ok on her own.. maybe you will be able to get her a friend

Oh Gill, that's terribly sad news. They're such delicate little things aren't they? Binky free little Kia, you were well-loved.

This may sound terrible, but has Mischa seen Kia's body/ spent any time with it. If she does, she'll know what's happened and it will be easier for her to accept.
It's up to you how long you take before getting another bunny to bond with her. I've not waited too long, because Bobby gets so down on his own.

Sending you and Mischa lots of hugs.

thanks everyone, i have been pretty upset this morning and am in the middle of creating a spot for Kia in the garden. I didn't know if i should let Mischa see Kia or not? but if it helps I will do that before burying Kia. the nurse at the vet said i would need to bury her quite deep and put a slab over her in case foxes come and dig her up. i have made a wee wooden box for her and put her name on it and have so far dug about a foot deep. i am going to dig a bit more first, i am just taking a break from the digging at the moment! it's quite hard work but thought it would be better if Kia was in the garden than wherever the vet takes them.

What a lovely thought, making a box for her. Mine are buried in the garden, they have a rosebush planted over each of them. It's nice to have them close by. I think it will help to let Mischa see Kia, then she'll know that she's not coming back.
Big hugs x

Gill...I am so sorry that Kia didn't make it and I know how hard you tried. It is lovely that you will have her in sight and will always look after her

engel02.gif

Awww I'm sorry to hear about little Kia - the struggle was just much for her but in her short time at least she has had a loving bunny mum to care for her and it will nice to have her close by you to keep a bunny spirit eye on Mischa and her possible new pal.

I got up this morning to find that one of my bunnies had died(18 weeks old). I cried all morning so know how you feel. I need to find another friend for my other bunny now!

Back