• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Trouble Trimming Nails

daisy

Young Bun
I'm having some trouble trimming Lucky's front paws nails. Everytime I touch his paw, he try's to bite me. Any suggestions?

wrap him in a towel and turn him onto his back? Thats how i do mine. Dont need a towel if they lay nice and still but if they kick alot a towel is always handy. If there is someone else who can help that makes things easier.. one to hold, one to cut.. i have to do mine on my own as i live alone.

oh ok. But his head will still be exposed. Won't he still try to bite? I tried putting a small peice of cardboard under his chin to prevent biting me before, but that didn't work out too well. He kicks quite a bit if i put him on his back, so I've just been trimming his nails with him sitting up right. When he was younger, he didn't have much of a problem with it, but he doesn't like it anymore. And how often do you trim your buns' nails?

I think it varies with each rabbit how often they need their nails clipping. If they are running on concrete alot then they may get worn down more and need cutting less. I think i probably do mine about every 6weeks or so but i do check them regularly in case they need doing.
when i do mine i lay them on their backs, cut their nails then sit them give them a treat, eg a grape or piece of apple etc, and stroke them for a while to try and make it a positive time. Simba isnt great on his back but he will lay there long enough to have his nails done. I put his head under my arm so that his eyes are covered with my arm and his nose/mouth are out so that he can breathe.. its hard to describe. :?

hi

wow - sounds like you're a professional Diddeen - I would be torn limb from limb and well chewed then spat out into a dirty litter tray if I attempted any of that with my girls :shock: :lol:

I did the same thing. I wrapped a towel around my rabbit's head, but I leave the nose out. That way, she can't see and won't be scared. And 1 paw sticks out and I just cut it w/ my big nail clipper

Diddeen said:
when i do mine i lay them on their backs, cut their nails then sit them give them a treat, eg a grape or piece of apple etc, and stroke them for a while to try and make it a positive time. Simba isnt great on his back but he will lay there long enough to have his nails done. I put his head under my arm so that his eyes are covered with my arm and his nose/mouth are out so that he can breathe.. its hard to describe. :?

Thats how I always did mine, but if possible with one person holding the bun and one cutting the claws. Then Lavender arrived, she won't let me do it that way, not even if I wrap her in a towel, she gets too stressed and she's quite big so we end up struggling a bit. So with Lavender, we sit her on top of the dog crate/table or wherever, Steve holds her and talks to her, and mostly covers her eyes too. Then I take one foot at a time and cut her nails - we actually only do two feet in one session, but give her treats and fuss inbetween each foot, and then some afterwards too. Seems to work really well.

Good luck, you'll find the right way for you and your bunny.

Back