• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage Hours

daisy

Young Bun
Lucky's cage is approx. 3 by 5 feet and 2.5 feet high. He's in there most of the day with the exception of a few hours out every evening(unless the weather is bad), and some mornings. Do you think this is enough time spent outside of his cage?

I think I read somewhere that they should have 4-5 hours outside their hutch every day. I may be completely wrong though :D

Mine sometimes only get a couple of hours out of their cage if i am at work all day.. but they are never unhappy to go back into their cage. If they have longer out of their cage they spend most of it asleep anyway so i think a couple of hours is fine for some.

Great. I just wanted to be sure he doesn't get bored sitting in his cage all day. I have a few toys for him, but I'm not sure if he even likes them :? There are a few baby toys; a small plush basketball(filled with cotton), an octopus (stuffed animal) with something different in each tentacle (ex. bell, ball, plastic, beads, etc.), and a small stuffed animal for him to groom. He also has toy hand-cuffs hanging from the top of his cage made of plastic. I think he doesn't like the octopus though, because every time I put it in front of him, he pushes it aside or bites at it. Is there a way to tell if he likes his toys or not?

Mine stay in their hutch most of the day while I am at school/practice. When I get home I try to give them about 1 1/2 - 2 hours out of their cages...but usually they dont want that much. They get eager to get back and sleep :roll: .

On the weekends, they are out as much as they like :wink: :D

hae you thought about attatching a un to the hutch so you can leave the door open and they can hop in and out when they want to ? :D

mine have a run atached to there hutch they are out from 630 am to 6 pm i have a tarpoling over ther run so they keep dry

sounds ok to me.
ok in an ideal world they wouldnt be caged at all but kets all be truthfull it wouldnt be practical in most cases mine included.
My house bun is out most of the day but my hutch bunnies and the rescue bunnies have to take turns in my 2 runs. as long as the time out is quality time with lots of space should be ok.

its far more than lots of poor buns get.
Angie

Actually, I keep his cage inside because I live in Toronto. The weather here is usually very hot or very cold. When the weather is nice, he runs around in the backyard, so he isn't caged in anything at that time. If the weather isn't that good, he has a few rooms that he's allowed to go into to play inside. When he's outside and wants to come back in, he waits at the door for me to take him back in. I wouldn't mind having a run for him. The only problem is the weather, so I can't make it outside, and there probably isn't enough room inside. Any suggestions?

I have soemthing similar to this: http://cgi.ebay.com/Animal-Play-yar...710646004QQcategoryZ63513QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (I can't find any others on ebay that are available to Canada, but you might be able to find a better supplier). I only use it for my bunny if I'm going to be out for a long day, but when I do use it, I tie it to the cage with cable ties, so he can't get out. I also have a net to go over the top, so he can't jump out. When I'm not using it, it folds flat and slides under the bed. :D The individual panels are also useful for blocking doors etc....

Here he is using it in the garden.

DSCI0025.jpg

I used to use something similar to that, but it was a flexible net type of thing with large holes. I used to put stakes up at the corners and tie up the ends, but he ended up chewing it, or escaping from underneath it. The weather is startring to get cold, and I need an alternative. He's not actually ALLOWED to come inside, but I sneak him in when my mum isn't around :lol: . When winter comes around, I don't want him to be stuck in his cage all day. Maybe I'll get him that run and put it in the garage?

theres some one on her whos buns live in the garage with a play house and run atached sorry cant rember who that would be a good alterntive to being out side dose the garage have a window that could be opened with some wire mesh ovr it to stop cats ect

There are a few windows on the door to let light in, but they can't be opened. There is enough light let in though. Would it be alright if I housed him their then?

Yes, I could try that. Problem is that the doors are on the top of his cage. He can jump onto his box and than on top, though. I just don't know how to make the extention from the top :?

Yes, I could try that. Problem is that the doors are on the top of his cage. He can jump onto his box and than on top, though. I just don't know how to design the extention from the top :?

hi

Benny has lived in a 2'x4' indoor cage since I got the girls 6 weeks ago and it wasn't love at first sight - he's in my living room and I think if they live with you they are quite content in a small space with being let out for a run a couple of times a day - Benny seems very happy - happier and more relaxed than when he had a 5x8 shed with a 13' patio to play on. I say 'do you want to go out?' and he hops in his litter box to be carried outside - preferable to being picked up I guess! When he's had enough he hops in his box again and looks at me in 'that' way - so I take him back to his cage and he flops for the day after eating some hay.

But he's about 2yrs old - maybe a younger bunny would be more restless?
He goes outside for an hour in the morning and skips about the patio, then sleeps most of the day and goes for another run in the evening if he wants to - usually he can't be bothered though and just sits on the patio for an hour :roll:

Mine have the run out onto the grass most of the day if we're in, but don't spend much time in it to be honest. Their permanent run is 9'x6' but after they've had a mad dash around, they pretty much settle. Prefer sleeping! Oh to be a bunny.

This is what our bunnies have, admitidly larger than ur average hutch but they have an attatched tunnel that goes to their run, they can come and go as they please day or night.
therunandhutches.jpg

Back