• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

anal prolapse!???

Well I know its not the same but I was watching Zoo Vet At Large on Sky Travel the other week and the vet had a lizard in with a prolapsed penis. They tried to prod it back inside with a cotton bud but it kept coming out :shock: In the end they pushed it in then glued over the hole and later removed the glue and it never happened again! Obviously used some sort of animal glue though :? Yep that had nothing to do with your question :lol:
Anyway with a prolapsed anus I think they may just push it back in, if the anus was torn they might stitch that back up and then prescribe an antiinflammatory, maybe a painkiller, lots of water and a high fibre diet for the poor mite! :lol:

bunnyhuggger said:
I take it you mean in a bunny?

yep :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: if it was me :oops: i would get down the doctors! :lol: yep holly the new bun i will take her to the vets in the morning,!

Eve x

As far as I know there are 2 conditions which occur in this area, they are anal prolapse and a rectal prolapse.

An anal prolapse is where there are small protrusions of the red mucosal tissue lining the rectum that usually occur right after a bowel movement. It can sometimes be more of an irritating problem for an animal and the owner than it is a life threatening condition. Depending on how bad this problem is treatment often is to resolve the problem which causes it such as destroying intestinal parasites, reducing hair entrapment in long haired breeds and treating persistent diarrhea or straining by increasing the fibre content of the diet which can also for can lead to anal prolapse. Treatment with topical cortisone ointments or even a pet equivelent of Anusol can be used. Elimination of any and all causes of irritation in the anal area usually will resolve the problem if it can be accomplished.

Rectal prolapse is more life threatening. In this case, the inner rectal tissue is protruding from the anus, sometimes for several inches. If the rectal tissue is not returned to its proper place in the body it will die, which usually results in the death of the animal. Rectal prolapses may occur because of chronic irritation in the rectal tissues. Possible problems that contribute to rectal prolapse include intestinal parasites, enteritis from bacterial or viral causes, cancer, foreign body ingestion, straining associated with delivering babies, straining associated with bladder infections or lower urinary tract disease, congenital rectal problems, and inflammatory bowel disease. It is usually necessary to reduce the prolapse (return the tissue to its normal position inside the body) and then to place sutures around the rectum to hold it in place while treating whatever underlying problem can be identified at the same time, this usually is sufficient to control the problem.

Janice

bunnyhuggger said:

rofl :lol: :lol: do you have personal experience with this problem Lynda :wink: :lol: we wont tell, honest :wink: you can share your secret with us :wink: :lol:

I had a gerbil a few months ago with a rectal prolapse, his had become infected very quickly although he only had about a cm of it out of his bottom. Unfortunatly when they went to open him up they discovered that the whole lot of his tissue had become infected and things had twisted round each other, he had been v.unwell for the past few days so we decided to have him pts, as we felt that the recovery wouldn't be fair on him and the likely hood of him recovering anyway was very small.

I wish you luck with Holly, Merlin was a severe case I had rescued him and he had been left wih this for a long time before I had tried to sort it.

Love
Rachel xx

Well I don't know about anyone else but I found what Janice said really interesting! :) How do you know all that stuff? Just from reading?

I know some bits from reading around different information and trying to find out things and understand them. As a volunteer for ARC I organise the guinea pig side of the rescue (and foster buns for Donna) I frequently get phone calls from people who own piggies looking for advice, by chance only 3 weeks ago I had a phone call from a lady who had a piggie who had got what sounded like a large rectal prolapse.

I currently work as a nurse and have done a lot of gastro surgery in the past. Although humans are some what different from guinea pigs and rabbits there are many things which also fairly similiar.

Janice

Denny said:
bunnyhuggger said:

rofl :lol: :lol: do you have personal experience with this problem Lynda :wink: :lol: we wont tell, honest :wink: you can share your secret with us :wink: :lol:

:lol: No, thank God!!! My bum's always been in peachy perfect condition ('sept when I went to Egypt :roll: ) And I wouldn't dream of having a baby either cos you can get piles :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back