• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Terrible shedding and weight loss???

:(
We have had our bunny butterscotch since March of this year. The last month or so he has seemed to lose some weight and is shedding something fierce. He otherwise seems heathy. He is an un neutered male and we don't know why breed he is since we rescued him from the animal shelter here. He eats a large variety of greens but doesn't seem to have a lot of interest in the hay, is that a problem? Just thought I would get any advise I can. I was also thinking he is probably an older bunny so maybe he is just getting a little thinner with age.
Thanks,

I would say that the weight loss is due to age but i would keep an eye on it. The loss of hair sounds like moulting buns do it about twice a year. Are there bald patches were the fur is coming out or is there hair underneath?

There is really short hair underneath. Is that how it is with molting? Its funny because where he lays under his hutch it looks like snow from all his fur :lol: Thanks for the help, we will sure watch his weight, its not that he is terribly skinny but he is thinner than when we got him. I guess that could also be partly due to him being able to get excercise now and not just locked up in a cage. He runs everwhere and love to play with the kids. They play this chase game and he will run from them then after a little while stop and go over to them to get some attention. Anyhow.
Thanks,

do you think you could weigh him and put a picture up? as then we could decide whether he is the right weight (hopefully :D ) hope the little bun is ok! It sounds like a moult as there is fur growing through which is nothing to worry about :D

He may also look thinner because he's losing all that fur and has the very short new coat coming through.

Hiya,

Before you put the weight loss down to age I think it's important to rule out other problems. A check up with the vet might be a good idea. It's possible he could have worms, he could have teeth problems - which could also be why he doesn't like chewing hay etc.

I'd recommend weighing him too. You can do this by popping him in a carrier/box on kitchen scales. Recording his weight weekly will give you a good indication of whether he is losing/gaining.

Have you tried different varieties of hay? Some taste better than others ;)

Does he have try food as well?

You could try introducing a few porridge oats - these are good for adding weight.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

have to agree with Tamsin about the weight loss could be worms or, did'nt someone once mention that EC can cause weight loss :?: or am I wrong :oops:

sounds a lovely bunny :D :D its nice when they really interact 8) he sounds a right little character 8) :D :D

I think maybe a trip to the vets would be a good idea just to be on the safe side. Though my bun Blossom has been going through a mega moult and she does look half the size as her usual fur is do fluffy .... I have never seen her looking so sleek.

thanks

Hey everyone,
Thanks for the advise. I will get him weighed and see what happens and I will try to get some pics added as well but am running short on time this evening. The moulting makes sense, don't know why that didn't occur to me earlier, lol. Oh well. Talk to you all soon.

Hi Christine......it's great isn't to get all the good advice and help from the lovely girls on here :wave:

Silly me

Well he apparently hasn't lost any weight, hee hee just fur. I weighed him this morning and he is slighly less than when we got him. He is getting close to being done shedding because all but his hind end is all shed of and slick and pretty. Wahoo so now when I pick him up I don't get a face full of fur, hee hee. I really will get some pics posted but I have to sign up for that program and all that jazz so soon I hope, maybe after the kiddos go to bed.

pics if they work

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

Ok I hope I did this right

Christine ...those are really scrummy pictures...good job you are so far away...I really could come and snaffle them...especially your lovely kiddies....I just love the first photo. I hope you don't mind but they are going into my "cute & adorable" album
6.gif

Back