• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

neutering questions

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
i shall be getting Gabriel neutered over the next week or so as his testicles, i beleive, have now dropped. one side has dropped more then the other but im sure it wont be long before it joins it! :lol:

anyway, i have a few questions about it. luckily i have a vet that i trust and that has done a couple of rattie castrations for me with no problems. i also know that she knows alot about bunnys so thats good too.

i wanted to know, do i have anything to worry about with the op? and what sort of stitches should the vet use? any pre-op/post op advice?

was also wondering if i should order a smaller crate to put him in for the couple of days following the op while he recovers? so he cant binky around like he usually does! if so, what sort of size crate would be best?

any other advice is appreciated!

When mine have been done they have had to live on newspaper for 10 days and be kept warm but the vet uses glue as rabbits wil love to pull stitches out

Elaine

i would keep him in the same cage as you may stress him out by putting him somewhere that he isnt used to.

it is important that he eats and drinks up until the op and afterwards, make sure he starts pooing again too.

hope all goes well for the little chap! :D

sophie

thanks for the replies! good to know that i dont have to fork out for another cage just yet LOL

well i shall let you know when i have booked him in!

and sophie-you may get a pm when the little chap has been done :wink:

awww poor girl! how havnt you??!!! thats madness!!! :shock:

im getting in contact with Jane Dexter today about a bunny i have seen on RR, as she is quite close by so it would be easier all round. But im still keeping you and Lolly in mind! i shall let you know what happens :wink:

it doesnt really matter which rescue bunny you adopt they are all in need of loving forever homes.

good luck meeting this bunny.

sophie

well i have just booked Gabriel in to be done on friday!

the woman i spoke to said that they dont usually do them until they are 6 months old, but i told her that my vet said they should be able to do him as soon as his testicles drop so she said to bring him along friday morning and as long as the vet agrees he will be done!

so is it best to ask for internal stitches and glue then? will there be less chance of him fussing it? i know that the rats hated having the glue-always fussed it and ended up back at the vets!

Zeus had internal stitches (no glue) and he worried the end and got a small abcess :roll: , Cosmos had internal stitches and glue and he ate all the glue off and I had to heal them as open wounds with twice daily salt baths!

Rabbits can be little sods when it comes to worrying wounds, it doesn't really matter how they are sewn up as long as you keep checking the wound area to ensure it is healing well.

Caz

thanks for the reply.

so i have that to look forward to then! and with my pets track record of worrying surgery wounds he'l most likely open himself up! :shock: :?

will keep you all posted on how he gets on!

Back