• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

'Nother question ^_^

Broken

Young Bun
I keep all three of my rabbits outdoors on a porch. Summer's coming to an end, and I'm planning on keeping them out all fall.

I would like some advice on wintertime though. They only have a cage with blankets over it, not a hutch. Should I leave them outside? I'm afraid they might not survive the winter...it gets very cold here sometimes down to -5 at the worst points. Their water bottles would also freeze and to unthaw them would take hours.

I'm thinking it's better for them to come inside once the cold weather hits. All of them are house-trained but I just need to work on the bonding.

Any advice or information on what kind of weather rabbits can handle?

I personally keep my buns inside, but thats just because I dont want to walk outside during a blizzard and having to change the water bottle :lol:

Lots of people keep their rabbits outside. The breeder I got my Flemish from keeps his 20 rabbits outside, no protection or anything.

If I kept my bunnies outside I would buy those heated waterbowls, they keep the water warm enough that it doesnt freeze, but it also lets it get cool enough so it doesnt get to hot. I would also give them LOTS of hay, it acts as insulation. Just make sure they have lots of food (build up body fat for heat) and shelter from the wind.

:)

~Amy

I think that if you were top keep them outside in the winter you would need to get a large Hutch as this would be warmer for them than a cage. All my buns live outside all year round (except my two house buns) But they have Hutches.

Do you have a garage or a spare room they could live in over the winter?

Unfortunately no, I live in a rather small apartment.

Bringing them in wouldn't be a hassle though, the last place I lived in they all lived inside. I have a place for them in the dining area.

I think I will bring them in...their cage offers no protection other than blankets I can put on it, and I'd rather have them inside around Christmas anyway. It's cozy, and it saves me from going out in the freezing cold to play with them or let them out :).

Back