• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lumpy bunny - any ideas?

BevBunny

Mama Doe
I handle Charlie a lot beings as the buns live in the lounge with us and he is a highly demanding little bunny on the fuss front, it also gives me the opportunity to monitor lumps and bumps. I've searched old posts but nothing seems to fit these ones.

There are two lots I want to ask you all about:

1. For several years now he has had lumps aorund his neck, they are large pea sort of sizes, several around the top and sides of his neck. The vet has taken a sample out of one and checked it, and its not cancerous. We have always assumed they were injection site wounds from when he had weeks of fluid treatment to flushhis kidneys/bladder out cos of his stones problem. We also assumed they would get smaller and go away - they haven't. Has anyone elses bun got these?

2. The one I am more concerned about currently, a few months ago we found a really small hard lump just under his the skin on his back, almost on his spine line. I showed the vet when Charlie went for a jab a couple of months ago, and she said she wasn't worried about it but to keep an eye on it. Well, its grown, its now about peppercorn size (and hardness), immediately beneath the skin. It doesn't move and doesn't appear to hurt him. Any ideas?

I am intending to take Lavender for a check up soon so can take Charlie to see the vet then but I wanted to ask you lot as experienced bunny owners.

Thanks.

My rabbit Rosie has lump around the bottom part of her ribs, about 1.5cm diameter, the vet said I shouldn't worry but keep an eye on it.

Just thinking outloud with the peppercorn sized lump on his back, are peppercorns about half a centimetre diameter? It made me think of the cysts some male rats get because of their pores getting blocked from excess grease in their skin :? the cysts are hard, not sure if that affects rabbits but that was my first thought. Also, could it be that he had a scratch that never fully healed? Sort of an internal abscess gone hard instead of bursting? If there was something stuck inside I think he would have got an infection already :? Strange stuff. Didn't your vet discuss what the lumps could possibly be from? Then saying that, my vet didn't say what Rosie's lump could be. Hope someone more helpful comes along :roll: :wink:

Since he has had these lumps for a while I wouldnt think it is very dangerous, but I would watch it.

Another thing I thought of was it could be an abscess, but how could it be an abscess when it isnt bothering him or making him sick.

(here is a link for abscesses http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/abscesses.htm)

Then I thought maybe its just a malignant tumor, but a vet would have said something.

(link for tumors http://www.petmedicinechest.com/rabbit/discussions/tumortext.asp scroll half way down)

Hmmm this is kinda puzzling.

~Amy

He's had an abcess in the past and it was a bit soft, this is rock hard. I actually just found two more on him, again along his back but this time nearer to his tail.

neeshkabeesh - yes they are about half cm diameter, but they started off smaller. I also thought about cysts but thought they were bigger. When I asked my vet about these little hard ones she said that it was to be expected that he'll start getting a few lumps as he's getting old (he's 6, which I don't class as old yet) and to keep an eye on them, and to only worry if they broke through the skin!

Amy - thanks for the links, I'll have a read, and you're right its puzzling, I'm not overly worried yet, but will be if I start to find more. I think I'll get him back to the vets sooner rather than later.

Back