• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello there!!

The Bears

Young Bun
Hiya all! :D

My partner and I have just become the proud adoptive owners of two lovely rabbits, who are residing in our house now!
They are called Muffin and Cosmo, and are from a rabbit rescue here in Herts. Will hopefully post some pictures soon!
They are a lovely pair and I think they are settling down well with us and bring lots of joy.
We found them on the rabbit rehome website and are so glad to be able to offer them a home.
We read lots of books and got lots of advice at the rescue but it's good to know that there's a community here if anyone needs any help or to share lovely stories with!
By the way, does anyone have any tips on helping your rabbits feel happier about being picked up for health checks for example?

Bye for now

Lindsay :)

Hello and welcome!

Great to hear you have rescue bunnies! Can't wait to see pics! Hope you enjoy your time here. :)

AMETHYST

Welcome. I am not a Bunny Mummy--yet-- but a kitty Mummy.
Well, I am owned by a kitty who thinks I am her personal salve adn Butler.

Addictive!!!!
Well, I sould be making cards but there is so much to read and learn here I am getting a little behind!
I am also moving home in a month.

So I must stop reading and go do what I should be doing!!!

You can tell where I would rather be though!

dier39.gif

What else but this for "the Bears"

A very warm welcome and you will get al the advice and help ....just ask ... :lol:

Hi everyone! :D

Thank you all so much for your replies and making us feel so welcome!
The pictures and descriptions of your bunnies are all so cute!
Thanks HS for the link we are going to read that carefully.
We have only had our bunnies a week so I guess that they are still settling in a bit just now.
We are trying to introduce some vegetables gradually, and are using Timothy hay. Do you have any favourites that are best early on?
Michele, do you make cards? I do too!
Marlene, thanks for the little bear it is so lovely!
Thanks all. 8)

Lindsay

Yes, I make cards!!

It stops my hands from getting stiff. The type of arthritis I have affects my feet far worse than my hands.
X Rays taken 2 years apart , the first before I started making cards, compared with the one 2 years later show progression of my disease in my feet a lot, but not in the hands as much.
I love making them. All types!

I amurrently trying to work ahead as I am moving at the end of September, and will need to get all of this and next months cards done, so that people are not missed and I am also filling up a box with stuff to start a few cards for Christmas so I have everytihng I need in a place I know.
I make cards for some children in an orphanage in India.
There are 25 of them.
They are all getting a Chritmas Tree card bthis year.
A cut out tree shape with thread wraped around them- Spirella.
A bit like the old Spiramouse from when we were little where you drew circles within cirles with a pen?
Well, the trees will have pretty coloured threads around the outside of the tree primarily, then I shall stick lots of small jewel stickers on for decorations and other stickers like candles and try to make each one different.
And If I have time, I want to make them a decoration with their name on it, so each has one to hang on their tree.
I would make them on acetate, and stamp a medallion or mandala image on it, then use glue and glitter to colour them in.
And pout a name tag on the bottom.
I also send them a birthday card each year.
Before I started to do this last Christmas, none of them had ever received a card -- just for them.
I was sent poictures of each child so I knew what they looked like, they all posed quite seriously for me!
But now, they pose with happy grins showing off their cards!
I have a much better idea of their character from the smiley faces!!
They call me Michele Aunty!!

Hiya!

We have just cleaned out the pen for the first time.
Muffin and Cosmo were both hopping over our feet to see what was going on. I hope it wasn't too traumatic for them. They are such sweet bunnies but they still seem a little scared at times. Does it take awhile for bunnies to settle down, do they always feel a bit nervous?
Michele thanks for your reply. It was lovely to hear about the cards you make, they sound beautiful. I haven't tried doing Spirella ones yet but I know the ones you mean. And for such a good cause too, how did you find out about it?
I am glad it helps you keep your hands active. I was sorry to read about your arthritis.
I love making cards, it is one of my main hobbies (as well as looking after these two cuties!). I am hoping to make my christmas cards this year and have just made a start on them.
It really cheers me up and it is such a fun thing as there are so many bits and pieces you can use to make them aren't there?

Bye for now

Lindsay

The Bears said:
Hiya!

We have just cleaned out the pen for the first time.
Muffin and Cosmo were both hopping over our feet to see what was going on. I hope it wasn't too traumatic for them. They are such sweet bunnies but they still seem a little scared at times. Does it take awhile for bunnies to settle down, do they always feel a bit nervous?

I think it varies from rabbit to rabbit on how quickly they relax and settle into our homes. I had Bramble and Blossom from a the RSPCA in April Blossom has really chilled out but it took time and patience on our part. She now allows us to stroke or brush her but everything is on her terms, little Bramble is very shy and still a tad nervous, we don't get to stroke him very often at all though he will come up to us for a sniff but he has a strictly no touching rule bless him. Our other three boys are such softeys Bernards a cuddle bun and Panzy just wants attention 24/7

Good luck with Cosmo and Muffin :D

Thanks for the advice and good wishes 5cutebunnies!
They are both so gently, we love them to bits. Isn't it great when they jump up in the air etc?!

Hi and welcome - want to see piccies though! :wink: My lot chase the broom round and Pip growls at it - they just get used to it I think. I spose they will take a while to settle in - like anything new! :D Great that you rescued themxx

How did /i get card making or how did /i find the kids needing cards?

WEll, I git Sky TV and found QVC and Dawn Bibby, and Also Alan "And Barry on "Ideal World and isnce then my plastic cards are permanently bending under the presure of "I must have that!"

About the children, 6 years ago, on a Christian web site an Indian man wrote to me living in Aberdeen he had just finished his Batchelor degree in Theology. His name was Suresh.
He wanted to meet people in England and learn more about this country where he was trainig to head up th mission his grandmother had started.
The story of the start of the Charity, in itself is a real tear jerker.
Well, he got married and bought his lovely wife, Roja, in English Rose, back here in 2000.
She started to learn English and in 2003 was preganant.
Lonely and no 'mother to tun to.
Her own mother back in India was too ill to travel so mt frined Suresh, his mother came as a substitute nearer the birth.
But I am an e midwide and told them to write all thir questions down but typically of the "NHS at the moment, they did not get the answers they wanted.
So in stepped Midwife Michele and soon I was being called their English mother!
I am a month older than his mother Vijaya, but when yo see her picture she looks about 80. She obviously is suffering the results of the hard life they live in Andrhra Pradesh, a poor region of India.
She also has lots of metal shrapnel in her body from when she was caught in a terror attack by Muslims on a Christian meeting at a town several miles away from their own village.
No free care there, they ptched her up and sent her home.
I would love to pay for her to get rid of these metal pieces which sometimes break through her skin. And the ones deepoer inside which cause her so much pain and discomfort.
When he sent me pictures of the children, something touched my heart and that is why I offered to make them cards.
I introduced them to Scrapbooking and they have made a lovely book for their little boy, Swithin Ross now 2+. Called Swithin after the Nishop andSaint of Winchester CAthedral which he visited andl oved, andRoss for the country of his birth. THey have kept his baby bracelts from the hopsital and done what all UK parents do, but whicvh was so new to them but they caught the bug and are already on their 3rd album.
I send albums and extra pages and paper each few months when they hae birthdays due to keep them in supply.
They have kept all the cards I made for them, and also taken photos of them even thogh they have kept the card inside the album. And it just carried on from there.
Iwanted to give these children something to smile about.
Theyall looked so serious.
The children are excellently cared for and have a sponsor each, the moeny goes mainly to pay for their education and new clothing, but their sponsors have never thought to send a card.
So I asked if they had birthdays, some are only approximate as they were found abandoned on the doorstep of the church but now I make them all their own cards. I ask their likes and dislikes and this year the girls asked about British flowers, so they all had cards made with dried flowers I encased in plastiuc so they will ls for ever.
The boys had a mixture of boats and football and cars.
They range in age from 8 to 15. What surpirsed me was that there are more boys there. I thought it would be mostly girls.
It shows a familes desperation to abandon a boy baby.

As you say, there are so many ways of making a card!
And so masny easier ways of making them laways becoming avaialbe.
I love parchment work in particular but also stencils and dry embossing!
I have just made a card for my brothers mother in law, using a Medallion stamp and glitter! a 6 layered card!!
A sparkly bed I have as that is where I work mostly!
And I am now going to do a Gold card for a cousin!

I hope Muffin and Cosmo soon feel vvery much at home.

At some stage I would love a house Bunny!
So I am here reading and learnng all about bunny care first!!

I wish more poeple researched it better before they got a child one as a pet, then when the parent ends up having to look after it that is when the probems start as she has not time other than to do thje basics for the poor Bunny.
I certainly belive that children shold not be allowed to have them as a pet. They lose thier interest so quickly leaving it all to poor busy Mum.

That is why I want to learn everything first!!
I said in my introduction, I wanted a snuggly Bun who would like wearing a harness and go for walks with me. I am shortly moving to the centeo fo the village and I am opposite the village green so facny taking my Bun a walk , me on my mobility scooter or powerchair, and Bun hopping along beside! And if it got tired, then oit could have a ride home with me!!

Back