• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hector has turned nasty!

stacy

Warren Scout
Hector has gone mad! Since we resuced Hector and Kitty 7 months ago, they have really grown in confidence but recently Hector has reverted back to his old ways! He trashes the hutch, and bites when we try and pick him up. I also have several scratch marks on my arms and neck where he has struggled so much. (he has drawn blood on my husband!)

It's got worse since we got Teddy 2 months ago ( an 8 year old rabbit who is so laid back it's amazing!)
We have not bonded Hector and Kitty with Teddy (once when Teddy made a run for it looked as if he was going to get a bite from Kitty!), but their runs and hutches are side by side and they seem to tolerate each other.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to calm him down?

hi

I thought you originally intended to keep Ted as a housebunny, being as he's so old etc? this might solve the problem - I'm guessing that both males are neutered too?

They are all neutered, and we will be keeping Teddy inside when the weather gets colder, but he enjoys being able to see Hector and Kitty and I want him to interact with other bunnies, but we do bring him inside every night for cuddles and grooming

hi

Maybe it's because you smell of Ted that Hector gets angry? I would have a fleece top that I only wore when handling Ted - bit hot for this weather though - maybe a long-sleeved teeshirt? And wash your hands too - One of my guinea pigs jumped out of his skin because I'd been stroking the other male before touching him :?

I always wash my hands between picking them up,but I don't change my top. I'll have to have designated tops for each rabbit. I did think that it was the smell of Teddy, but when you approach Hector and Kitty's run they hop over and let you fuss them and they don't seem bothered when I fuss Teddy, it's mainly when we go to pick Hector up. He hops to the corner and quickly turns round to face us!

I'm taking a huge box home from work tonight and I am going to fill it with Hector and Kitty's toys and lots of hay and give them a night of pampering!

hi

Maybe Hector just doesn't like being picked up - nothing to do with Ted at all? I've never picked any of my girls up - and couldn't pick Pepsi up when he was alive either - Benny's fine with it although given the choice, if he knows I'm going to pick him up, he runs away or jumps in his litter box - I just pick the litter box up with him in it and carry him in that as he seems happier - my litter boxes are high sided storage boxes though -you could try a cat carrier maybe?

Back