• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sneezing Rabbit?

bugaluggs

Young Bun
Hi again

One of my rabbits, Sox, seems to be continually sneezing. I took him to the vets a week last Tuesday as he had a runny nose. He was given an anti-biotic injection and some liquid that I had to put in his drinking bottle. The vet said he couldn't say at this stage if it was snuffles but just to see how he goes on. Sox's nose has cleared up, he's drinking and eating normally. Do you think I should take him back to the vet? I'm sure they think I'm neurotic there!

Thanks

Keels

If it was me i would take him back for a check up. I think if you are unsure it's always best to get it checked out. As for the vet thinking you're neurotic you're paying them so don't worry about what they think! I worry about my bunny if she so much as looks at me the wrong way! :lol: Hope everythings ok. Let us know how you get on x

Thank you for you reply! I've booked him in for 10.15 tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how he gets on. XxX

Just a quick update. The vet checked Sox's lungs which she said were very clear, so she thinks he just has a build up of mucus in his nose. She gave him another antibiotic injection and some powder I have to give him twice a day (Bisolvon). Sneakily hid it in a piece of apple this morning and he ate the whole piece!! Hopefully this will stop the sneezing.

Hi,

My 2 rabbits have pasteurella. There are lots of different forms and also by finding out can help the vets choose which medicines to try. I would recommend a swab, mine for one rabbit cost about £35. And now that we know it's definitely pasteurella, it's kind of a relief in a bad sort of way....you know at least we _know_ what it is.

I don't know if your vet has told you, but ours said that rabbits only breathe from their nose so its important to check their nose to make sure it's clear of snot. Our eeyores nose got really bad at one point...it was drying up and accumulating and this is when she showed us how to get rid of it. Now I've got in the habit of checking his nose every day and wiping any snot away to make sure it doesn't build up.

Anyway, be it snuffles or not, just to let you know my bunnies have sneezed everyday since I got them (May) and they seem to be leading happy lives inbetween the sneezes.

That post made me worry! Splodge has had a few sneezing bouts recently! Though I've not noticed a runny nose. He's had his lungs checked too as he was neutered last week! Do you think I should mention it at his post op checkup?

It's up to you if you want to mention it, but I would just keep an eye on your bunny. The sneezing could just be that he's allergic to something or had something up his nose or maybe the hay was a bit dusty. My bunnies have had discharge since they started sneezing. Just check for bogies. You will know if they've been sneezing and sneezing out bogies cos bits of white snot will be on the floor (altho I have lino in my playhouse, so I notice when they've been sneezing bad cos when I clean it theres lots of dried up snot).

Hi

I've had mega problems getting on this board recently so please excuse my lack of reply!

Thank you for the advice re pasturella. Sox is still sneezing but is fab in himself.

I will post some piccies of all my darlings. I'm off on hols on wednesday, got a 16 month old to run around after and pregnant so life's a smidge hectic at mo but bare with me and I'll get my hubby to sort out the photos - far too technical for me!

XxX

Back