• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

she never wants to go back into the hutch!

alixtirian

New Kit
hey guys! lola is being a pain in the bum! when i go to fetch her in to the house which i do everyday, she cant wait to come out! as soon as i open the hutch door she's leaping out at me and lets me pick her up and have lots of cuudles. she then has a few hours playing and running about the house. but when its time to go back in, she knows! she runs rings around me and refuses to be caught. eventually she gives up and lets me pick her up but not without a few kicks befre going back in and then having a happy little munch. i think she is officially crazy! grrrrrr!

How about changing feed times to when you put her back in the hutch, there is then a little more incentive for her to go back.

Janice

i feed her after she goes back in, so she knows that she gets her food after she's been out for a run. i think she just perfers to be in the house with us! ... i hope!

any chance of her becoming a house rabbit then??
If not maybe you can use a cat carrier to put food in when u want her to go home so that she will go in on her own accord and you can then use it to transfer her? Or maybe you could try hand feeding her so she will come to you easier when its time to go to bed?
Mine used to refuse to go back in their cage (they are houserabbits) but now that i dont feed them til they go back in their cage as soon as i go towards it they both run in and wait for their dinner :D

Last night my wife was in stitches watching me try to pick our rabbit back up to go in hutch!!

We have only had her a week or two so she is still a little timid but I was knackered in the end!

Can it stress out a rabbit too much in this way? She knows I'm not gonna harm her I hope but I do worry she is getting stressed.

I go down low to pick her up to so its not as if I am towerin over her

Now that the weather will be getting cooler I should really try to rethink where your bun can exercise.

Its lovely that you bring her in to spend time with you but Rabbits dont tend to tolerate temperature changes to well.

In the winter she will have grown a thicker coat to combat the cold so to be bought into a warm room she may over heat and then of course she will really feel the cld again once put back outside.

It sounds to me that she loves being in the house any chance of making her into a house rabbit?

no chance of her becoming a house rabbit, my boyfriend would never approve! i cant really let run around around in the garden as it isnt very secure and there isnt proper fencing around the garden which means she could easily go nextdoor or out into wherever the bottom of the garden leads. and there are a lot of cats of cats around here so i wouldnt want to leave her in a run or anything because i dont trust those cats! i guess i will just have to keep persuingthis and think of another way to get her calmly into her hutch, maybe she's just spoilt! lol :)

the same thing happened with my bun, so i just gave up in the end and she is now a house bunny. The only problem i found was that her hormones were raging, she was spraying etc so she has been successfully spayed today (phew!) and i can't wait to pick the little angel up. :D

if you have a secure run with roof and floor of mesh on it then there shouldnt be anyway she could escape or cats could get in to her. There are lots of photos on here of people's hutches/runs etc. Do you have a shed? maybe she could have a run around in that? if not could she have one or a playhouse?

she does have a shed, yeah. thanks for that though. i expect i will eventualy make a big enclosed run for her but its gettingthe funds and ultimately having the time to make it. she's a happy enough bunny, i just hate the struggle when she has to go back into the hutch :D

well i have a perfect solutioon for you - another bunny!!! Dusty used to be TERRIBLE when i tried to gt him from the run into his hutch, but as soon as he was bonded with phoebe he comes up no trouble at all!! hehe :wink:

yeah that sounds like a good idea! thanks for that. i will definitely lookinto that. dunno why i didnt think of that sooner to be honest with you. :lol:

Sometimes its just a phase they go through.
Harry and Marmalade go straight into their hutch as soon as they see food coming (but they are older and more sensible)
Smudge also goes straight into a hutch whenever he sees food (usually the wrong hutch tho :lol: ).
Now Treacle is being a difficult teenager, and sees it as being one big game to have her mummy running around the garden trying to catch her. She's worked out all the places I have to get on my knees to catch her from, she has also torn out all the bristles on my broom so I can't chase her with it.

I used to have the same problems with Marmalade when she was a teenager, but now she's such a good little girl.

Back