• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth (worried as not eating, only little) OP on Monday

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
I am taking my netherland dwarf poppy to the vets at 3.30 as I have a suspition his teeth are too long. I went outside at 1.00 and he was struggling with his teeth even though he had nothing in his mouth. I looked at his teeth and his right one was curling around.

I took him afew weeks ago though and he said they were fine but im SURE they are not!!! :x

Yeah, sounds to me like they're definitely not fine! If one is curling then that's way too long. If your vets says they're fine again, complain, then take your bunny to another vets!

AMETHYST

If he's appearing to struggle, and he's not eating properly, DO NOT leave the vets until they've done something about it! Good luck.

AMETHYST

Groovychick1804 said:
Can they cut teeth without aniseptic?(sp?)

They can clip them but it's not recommended! It's better if they can give him a full dental that way they can get a proper look at the teeth and find whats causing the problem. Also if his front teeth are twisting then he has malloclusion and he would be better having the teeth removed.

One of the breeder that I know put a brick in the cage for rabbit's w/ over grown teeth and let them grind it down by biting it whenever the rabbit feels like it. It's a slow solution, and I suppose even a solution like that is better than the stress via surgery with those dental tools.

Hey, I don't like those tools myself when dentist put it in my mouth.

My rabbit Bella had to have her front teeth taken out when she was only about 6 months old the vet said it was because of interbreeding. The first time i went he clipped them but they grew again in about a month,the vet advised to have them taken out. I keep having her back ones checked but there fine at the moment.I think this was better than having to take her every month for them to be clipped down.

Teeth (updated needs full dental under aniseptic) ADVICE

I need advice really quickly ( well by 9 ish tomorrow)

I took Poppy to the vets about his teeth at 3.30 and the vet said they were overgrown. He trimmed the front ones as much as possible, which is not much as I have a very strong 6 year old netherland dwarf! They were curling around.

What I dont understand is why they never noticed it the other week when he went about his eyes because they were runny and I suspected his teeth were overgrown therefore leading to his eyes but the vet said they were OK! :evil:

Anyway, the verdict!
He said he needed a full dental under aniseptic! My first reaction was OHH NOOO! but the more I discused it with my mum is that its a good idea! Its either now or never really. The more I leave it the worse they are going to be and the weaker he will be and its putting him under more stress!

I have come to the conclusion where I am going to get it done for his sake, Yes there is a risk but its a risk im willing to take as he is 6 years old and I would rather him die where I know iv'e done the best for him. Rather than leave them and I dont want him to die a painful death with Long teeth! THATS THE LEAST I WANT FOR MY GORGOUS RABBIT! :(

He is old but he is very fit! and running around the garden all day as he has full run of the garden (very free range)

I have tried to afix a picture but I am struggling!

Helo,

i just took Jessica in on wednesday for her VHD, and she ended up staying in overnight so they could sort her back teeth out yesterday. Although the vet had noticed possible problems with them before and had been monitoring them. She was fine and was eating again like normal last night. I just hope that i don't have to get them done every month or so as it cost £80. The problem i have with Jess is she doesn't like to eat hay, so i am having to cut down on the pellets soshe gets hungry enough to eat it. I feel like a bad mum!
I have say i do think they are a great Vet which is why i travel 25 mins to get there instead of the one 5 mins away, and of course the buns are worth it! :D

SNAP, Poppy wont eat hay and even if i stave him I dont think he will still.

My local vet is 5 minutes away but the surgery is about 15 minutes way, Poppy hates the vets he dotheres all the way there lying down and his heart beats like crazy! as soon as its over though hes not to bad! Id rather have him seen to though!

If they're going to knock him out anyway - you could have his front teeth removed. If he's on the correct diet - plenty of hay - and they are over growing it's likely it will need doing repeatedly.

I presume the back teeth have spurs too if he's having an aneastthetic tommorow?

Tam

Im not sure what there actually going to do to tell you the truth! but they need to knock him out to hav ea decent look but I will agrre to anything that is needed!

It cost me £100 to have bellas teeth out but it was worth it as she hasnt had any problems since and this was a year and a half ago. She may need to have the back ones filed down soon, shes on supa rabbit excell and plenty of hay.

I asked how much it was over the phone as I forgot to ask how much it was when i was there and it was £35 +.

Poppy has hay but he wont touch it!

They quoted me between £75 and £80 but she had to stay in for 2 nights coz she wouldnt eat and she had quite a few pain killing injections i think thats what made it more.As soon as i got her home in her hutch she started to eat.

Poor bunny!!! Im willnig to pay as much as it is! He is such a gorgous rabbit.

I am making an appointment tomorrow, if its on monday ill be at work! I work at a nursery so its new pre school children coming in so I am well needed. He should be fine with mum!

one of my lops called thumper has to have his back teeth done every few months . he s over 7 years old now and has always been fine with the anesthetic till last time when he took longer to come around from it which was worrying. however although it is a worry whether he will come around ok the only other option would be to have him put to sleep . .... i would rather risk the operation.
my sisters rabbit scampy has had his front teeth removed. He is a perfectly healthy happy bunny without them. he just needs his veg cut into small pieces.
if his front teeth are very bad i would ask about having them removed, but be warned they do sometimes grow back.
ANGIE

I will risk it hes pretty healthy! Hope he doesnt have to have it every few months though, I will have to see how he gets on! I will suggest o mum about having his teeth removed but i might try with them trimming them
first!

Poppy is soo fussy, he wont eat grass/leaves, needs his apples pealed, wont eat cabbage and wont eat hay!!!! only eats apples and excel!

I went out to feed him this morning and he has hardly touched a thing! This made me phone the vets to make an appointment for his dental on Monday!

He will eat bread (I know this is a naughty food), bananna and little tiny pieces of apple.

He has excel for his dried food is it ok to add water to this to try and encourage him to eat it?

Back