• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

size of a hutch for a British giant?

pixie

Warren Scout
Hi,
does anyone have a British giant if so what size should the hutch be.My hubby is making a new hutch as we are to collect our baby bun on Sunday.These rabbits can grow huge so how large should it be? If anyone has one can they PM me some pictures and give me a size that is comfortable for a fully grown bun.
thanks

You would be better off buying a shed or childrens play house,as you will prob have to have a hutch specially made for a bun that size.
How old will he be when you get him?

giant hutch

My husband is making it to my requirements.He has all the tools and is skilled in DIY!!Im after the size it should be from someone who has abritish giant

i'd say minimum of 6/7ft wide, 3ft deep and 21/2ft high but as blubunny says a shed would be alot better and cheaper!!

My British Giant lived in a 5 1/2' x 2 1/2' x 2' cage, but Apollo was undersized for a British Giant and he also got lots of free running in the room.

I would say the minimum would be 6' x 3' x 3', and a good sized run attached or free exercise in a secure garden or in a house!

Will your rabbit live on his own?

Vera

Giant hutch

Hi,
just found a webside they say a Flemish Giant recommended size is 180cm x 75 x 75 im just looking for the best design now as i want a ramp for him to run in and out as he pleases.I will have to measure my patio up now.I collect him on sunday he is only 14 weeks - i cant wait that long.....

My continental giant (Zeus) and his girlfriend live in a converted Poppy playhouse from B&Q (5ft x 4ft x 5ft). Because it is in our garage we made a pen for them to run in out the front to give extra space (3ft x 5ft) for when they can't go outside but if we had room in the garden I would have set it up with an attached run. As it is I carry them into their runs outside every day.

Caz

Caz said:
My continental giant (Zeus) and his girlfriend live in a converted Poppy playhouse from B&Q (5ft x 4ft x 5ft). Because it is in our garage we made a pen for them to run in out the front to give extra space (3ft x 5ft) for when they can't go outside but if we had room in the garden I would have set it up with an attached run. As it is I carry them into their runs outside every day.

Caz
I thought yours lived inside caz?

Re: Giant hutch

pixie said:
just found a webside they say a Flemish Giant recommended size is 180cm x 75 x 75

I would say that was the minimum - it's better to build bigger though. How much space do you have? Build the biggest hutch you can to fit the room you have available.

Is it going to be perminantly attached to a run? If so that's probably okay. If he/she will only come out for set periods then it needs to be bigger.

Tam

Can hubby get free wood? Def cheaper with a shed if not! He can convert it inside to make it have different levels. Could have a storage bit for rabbit things too inside it. Also in winter its necer for you to be inside somewhere when you're up to your elbows in poo!

Sooty said:
Can hubby get free wood? Def cheaper with a shed if not! He can convert it inside to make it have different levels. Could have a storage bit for rabbit things too inside it. Also in winter its necer for you to be inside somewhere when you're up to your elbows in poo!

i was say levels are not good for british giants as they are so if you were gonna you need to make sure the acess to each level is big!

i have two british giants that are free range but when they werent the cages were eight foot but four foot and the buck had a tad bigger run outside, they grow ever so fast in there first six months and would imagine he is already quite big at 14 weeks, i got my two at eight weeks old and the growth rate is something else!

i would say the bigger the better and no smaller that 6 x 3 x 3

eve x

giant hutch

Hi,

im not having a hutch with levels just a ramp so he can walk in and out. Im going to put him outside on the patio near the french doors .There is a sort of conservatory with a roof so it is shaded from sun wind and rain and has a roof.Ive got a rough idea of what i want building.Big hutches are hard to find and too expensive a lot are wire which i dont like or dont look nice.What wood is the best to use????Ironicall wickes weres elling sheds at £45 last wekk.But i want to be careful with wood as i dont want it treated with any chemicals that will poison the bunny.

If you go in and ask what treatment they have put on the wood,mine was treated with something that isnt harmfull to animals.

bluebunny said:
I thought yours lived inside caz?

Brendan decided they were making the house messy with their moulting fur and that they were smelly and my vet said Zeus' mites were being aggrivated by the dry air of a centrally heated home so we made the decision to move them into the garage about three months ago and so far they are loving it (our huge garage was the reason we bought the house). I wanted to move them into the garden as Zeus loves being outside but there wasn't enough space to erect two playhouses with attached runs. It also better as now the four rabbits live side-by-side and are getting along better although I am not ready to try at a foursome again yet :shock: !

I posted some pics of the new set-up but they got lost in the forum melt-down ;). I should put them up again - it took us ages to put those damn things together!

I must admit it was awkward having Comsos and Violet in the spare room as people couldn't stay over but I am a little peeved at Brendan as now we have a dog and I think she smells worse than the rabbits ;) :lol: !

Caz

Back