• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flushed tear ducts

Lanny

Warren Scout
We took Fern to the vet last night to have look at her eye (again) and he has decided that as it is not clearing up with drops (has been going on for 3 months now) that he will have to flush her tear ducts and also rasp her teeth at the same time in case this is the cause of the problem.

Has anyone's rabbit had this done? I am a bit worried about it as I have never had to send a pet to a vet for an anaethestic before. :? I am sure she will be fine as Donny is going with her to hold her hand :lol:

My bunny had this done years ago - he was fine after the flush but still needed drops sometimes

Trees bunny Buster has had to have this done im sure

One of my bunny's had to have this done a few times she was fien and her eye was much better XX

thanks peeps, I know it will be fine, but you just can't help worrying about them! :roll: :lol:

Otis had his ducts flushed recently; he was only given a local in the eye that was getting treated. It didnt look comfortable and took a few attempts but he didnt seem to be bothered by it and suddenly gave a big sneeze - the ooze came out and the job was done.

Seems to be a straightforward procedure- Im sure Fern will be fine.

Hiya Buster has had this done, but unfortunetly it didn't help him, what is wrong her eye?

it has a milky discharge almost constantly, we think it is just an infection that she can't shift, although the vet now thinks she may have the beginnings of molar spurs which would be the cause of the problem, it doesn't seem to bother too much and donny keeps it clean for her.

Lanny said:
it has a milky discharge almost constantly, we think it is just an infection that she can't shift, although the vet now thinks she may have the beginnings of molar spurs which would be the cause of the problem, it doesn't seem to bother too much and donny keeps it clean for her.

Will had this in his eye until we had his front teeth removed! It turns out that his back teeth are fine (we thought hey were the problem) it was the roots of his front teeth there wasn't anything wrong with them the roots were just very long and were pushing into the side of his tear duct causing it not to drain properly! he had his teeth out 2 weeks ago and he has had no white gunk since! His eye weeps clear liquid now and then but nothing serious! it may be worth asking your vet about her front teeth!

Phil, I will certainly do that! I had never thought that it could be her front teeth, I just assumed it was the back ones.

Did you vet do an xray to find out how long the roots were?

Lanny said:
Phil, I will certainly do that! I had never thought that it could be her front teeth, I just assumed it was the back ones.

Did you vet do an xray to find out how long the roots were?

No unfortunatly Wills front Teeth had very bad malloclusion so they had to come out anyway! But it has certainlty solved the eye problems!

That is what Zeus had and an x-ray showed it to be his front teeth too! The roots were growing into the tear duct and causing an infection but they weren't actually blocking the tear ducts so we treated with antibiotics and metacam and flushed his tear ducts to try and clear out the infection. After all that and prolonged metacam the infection seems to have cleared but we aren't 100% sure yet.

Only an x-ray can determine the extent of the problem and what remedial treatment is necessary will have to be discussed with your vet.

Have a read here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5553

Caz

Lanny said:

Hiya Buster has the same problem, but there is nothing wrong with his teeth, he was taken from a gypsy site so it's unknown how long he's been like it, we've tried many differnt things over the last few months, but it doesn't want to clear up. At the minute he's on a course of Coperex (spelling) injections to see if that will shift it, I've had a lot of help and support from a lady who reads this forum, but doesn't post. She e-mailed me as she has had exactly the same problem with her bunny, i will leave them nameless in case she doesn't want to be named (but if you're reading Hiya and I've vet news I'll mail to you in a bit :wave:) . If after he's had his teeth checked and if you find out that isn't her teeth, drop me a PM and I'll be able to help you out with some details that were sent to me. Here is Buster when he first came to me,

0f58e7a5.jpg

Hope this helps :D

Ouch poor buster, thankfully fern's eye hasn't got that bad I will def mention all of these things to vet though. Thanks for your help everyone, I will let you know how she gets on.

My Merlin had his tear duct flushed without an anaesthetic, just a dab of gell to numb the eye. It didn't bother him at all, far less than a syringe full of baytril in his mouth did.
A great blob of pus shot out of his nose. Ick. But his eye cleared up after that.

Back