• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baytril question

Tahra

Alpha Buck
Coco was in the wars a few weeks back - well she goot bitten on the side of her mouth ( I suspect Ella....) Anyway, because of where it was we only spotted it when it was already scabbed - she didnt go off her food in any way and it was very clean so I left it alone and just kept a regular eye on it.

Last weekend the scab looked a bit bigger, I think she's probably caught it when scratching so we took her to the vets on MOnday as the scabs came off when I was cleaning it. The vet said it looked very clean and wasnt an absess though to beware of any infection she'd put Coco on Baytril.....finally the question.

She's been put on 0.5ml twice a day for ten days ( this was on Monday) We leave for Peru on Friday night and Ive two lovely friends looking after everyone- Great animal lovers but not used to giving bunnies med via syringe :shock: Do you think the 9 doses she will have had from us would be enough ? Or does she have to finish the course ?? To lessen the stress of her being caught by people she doesnt know I could move her inside for a few days.

When I checked her mouth while giving her baytril last night it looks like its scabbing again, but very clean. I just think where it is the wound is probably getting continually disturbed especially with her appetite.

Hiya thara i would really ask your vet, just give them a ring and explain. Usually it is recommended that a antibiotic course is finished.

I know its the norm to finish a course, I just wondered if they generally gave the length of a course out of habit or necessity. They said that there want an infection and I wondered if she was being given Bayrtril as more of a precaution and to make her visit to the vet worthwhile ....

I see what you mean, If there really is no reason for her to be on the Baytirl, can't see why it would be a problem to take her off early.

Courses of baytril of only five days are given so you may get away with it, but given that you won't be there to keep an eye on the wound it would be better for her to stay on it if you can talk your friends into trying to give it to her. If they don't feel up to syringing it is sometimes put into drinking water, maybe they could give it to her that way.

Tree said:
I see what you mean, If there really is no reason for her to be on the Baytirl, can't see why it would be a problem to take her off early.

Even if it only as a precaution it is important to finish a course as the balance of any bacteria present will shift towards a population more resistant to the anti-biotic. Even if the wound is not infected bacteria may still be present in the rabbit and given that baytril is the best antibiotic for rabbits it is extremely important not to breed resistant bacteria.

This is why using it only as a precaution, without very good reason, is not a very good idea, as you can create a bad situation out of nothing.

Can she be separated for a few mins either in a carrier or penned off? They can mix the Baytril with something she loves to eat and feed it to her. Chopped veg of fruit flakes or something. Sooty will take it sandwiched between two cabbage leaves. Hope this helps

Sooty said:
Can she be separated for a few mins either in a carrier or penned off? They can mix the Baytril with something she loves to eat and feed it to her. Chopped veg of fruit flakes or something. Sooty will take it sandwiched between two cabbage leaves. Hope this helps

Actually that might be worth trying - maybe she can get special dispensation to get extra toast for a few days or some other favourite. Hadnt thought of using it that way. Its not that Gayle wont try to give it but even she said - oh it would be the ninja bun wouldnt it :shock: I kindof thought that even if she just gets one dose per day for the final few days that might be enough to give her the extra benefit without the added stress of being continually caught and handled.

Back