• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

vaccinations

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi

i am thinking about getting joey vacinated soon, but i read on the internet that it is best to do it in spring so that it is more effective in the summer when there are more flies and insects about.

what do you think about this? shall i wait till summer to get him done???

Hiya Michelle :) It is better in some ways to get bunnies vaccinated in Spring, but please DO NOT delay getting Joey vaccinated if he is not vaccinated at all.
Bunnies need to be covered properly all year round, so they need doing when they first arrive in your home, and thereafter at regular intervals.
We have the Sanctuary bunnies vaccinated as soon as they arrive here whatever the time of year, as you cannot afford to leave them unvaccinated.
As long as regular boosters are given, it does not matter what time of year they are done.
Autumn is also a bad time for diseases, so please dont risk your Joey bunny contracting one of the deadly diseases that can be prevented :?
Hope this helps??
best wishes
Adele

and when they are vaccinated, does it knock them about a bit and make them feel unwell or stressed etc. or do they just get on as normal?

Hi,

The majority are fine, infact I've only had one that had a bad reaction to
the VHD jab and no reaction to the Myxi over 10 years.

It can make them a bit quieter and the problem I had with the VHD jab was a scab came up where the vaccine went in and was a bit unsightly for a week.

With this all taken into consideration it is far better to vaccinate than not, I can't think of a reason not to as I would never forgive my self if they got either of these two illnesses and I could have prevented them.

Best Wishes

Maureen

Hello,

I am a veterinary nurse and I have been for 4 years now. First of all, yes all vaccinations have side effects and it can make some animals sleepy or sick. Its the same for cats, dogs and horses, some animals are affected, some are not, but the following 48 hours it is not usual for it to happen. Of course it is different with rabbits because they need to keep eating, so I would NOT leave it longer than 24 hours before contacting your vet again. Secondly you are advised to vaccinate bunnies in the spring because Myxo and VHD (saw a horrible case last week, it makes my blood boil when rabbits are not vaccinated - there is NO excuse) Sorry about that!! Anyway those awful diseases usually break out during the summer, so if your rabbits are vaccinated in the spring, they have good immunity against the disease. Although no vaccine in 100% against any disease.
Hope this has helped.

Amy. x

ooh as you are here Robocop, please could you tell me the name of the VHD vax as on my bunnies record it says myxo and I think Cylap is this it?

Thanks, sorry for hyjacking this thread a bit :lol:

All my buns are vaccinated against Myxi and VHD and none of mine have ever had any kind of reaction to it. I would say the worse part for them all was the car journey to the vets!

Hi I've just had 2 bunnies from RSPCA and they had their Myxi Jab yesterday and are booked in for their VHD in a fortnight.I did think the same as you but decided I couldn't risk anything from now till then and thought as long as they have their regular boosters they should hopefully be fine.Bit stressful having these rabbits isn't it,but worth it!

Hello,

Yes, the VHD vaccine is called Cylap (Fort Dodge) and it is the only VHD vaccine veterinary practices have. The Myxo vaccine is Nobivac Myxo (Intervet) and that one is the only Myxo vaccine. Fort Dodge and Intervet are the companies.
Nobivac Myxo can be given from 6 weeks, 1 dose. Nobivac Myxo normally is re-vaccinated annually, but where there is a high risk of myxomatosis infection, re-vaccination every 6 months is suggested.
Cylap can be given from 10 weeks, but is there is VHD infection around then it is advisable to give another dose/vaccine after 1 month, after the first.
I agree with 5cutebunnies about the car journey being stressful on the bunnies, so the vet where I used to work used to suggest that people wait until the rabbit is 10 weeks and bring them in for both. Only one trip then. Another vet said to give the rabbits a 2 week break between the 2 vaccines, so they don't get the side effects that I mentioned in another post.
So what I've done is, on my rabbits very first injections they got the 2 week break (Cylap at 8 weeks old - 6 weeks is so young, and Nobivac Myxo at 10 weeks), then they have had both injections at the same time all the other years. I have never had a problem with my 3 bunnies doing it this way, they have never had any side effects or skin reactions.
Every bunny is different and your vets may suggest doing something else, but that is the information on vaccines.
Take care.

Amy. x

Back