• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rocket has a bald patch - help please

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Sorry I haven't been on for a while, but work and home life has been extremely hectic! I promise to catch up with everyone here soon.

My little Rocket Man has a bald patch on his head. It's only appeared in the last two days and is about 0.5cm wide by 1.5cm long, just above his left eye on his forehead. I'll try to take a pic but he won't sit still!!

China has been washing him but I'm not convinced that's the reason his hair has come out, as they have had a couple of minor arguments that involved some fur pulling and even then no hair came out. He doesn't seem to be in any pain as he still enjoys a fuss, a major part of which involves us stroking right over the bald patch.

I'm taking him to the vets on Sunday anyway as China is going for her second vaccine, but I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice in the meantime? Thanks all!

AMETHYST

Has China been exsesivly (sp) grooming him? There is a thing called barboring when one rabbit will over groom the other and cause balled patches XX

Phill,

China does lick him quite a bit, which could explain it, as he doesn't groom her all that much. What can I do about it?

Thanks!

AMETHYST

I unfortunatly don't know much about over grooming im sure that someone does though, and i unfortuatly don't think theres much you can do about it XX

ONE OF MY SISTERS BUNS DOES THIS TO HER MATE AND ALTHOUGH HE OFTEN LOOKS A SITE IT DOESNT SEEM TO BOTHER HIM.
DONT KNOW HOW TO STOP IT THOUGH WOULD BE INTERESTED IF ANY ONE HAS ANY TIPS.
ANGIE

Back