• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ill treated rabbits.

dandysam

Young Bun
hi all, :D
sorry i haven't posted for a while but been really busy with the buns.
i really need some advice. :cry:
yesterday i had two rabbits brought to me in quite a mess. the male dutch is thin and underweight blind in one eye through untreated eye infection. the other is a female english cross who is in quite a state. she is so under fed that her bones are showing.they were kept in a two foot cage together. :cry: :cry: :cry:
after giving a quick look over and a decent meal i seperated them as the male hasn't been neutered but today i have found the female making a nest so she is pregnant.due any time now. :twisted: :evil:
i have been given her a few oats and the excell food mixed in with some food that they were already on,plenty of hay as she seemed not to know what it was. at the moment i am really angry about the way these poor buns were looked after.
i am afraid that either mum wouldn't survive the birth or the kits will be born dead.through neglect.
but if they do survive do i take them from mum and rear them myself or do i keep them with mum?
i haven't reared newborn kits for many years and would need advice if anyone has any. plus any tips on building both buns up with out giving tummy upset. haven't tried them on greens as yet as i don't think they would know what they when i manage to get the camera worked out i will post some pics.
they are both lovely rabbits with great personalities. you can tell what time of year it is as this is as i am now starting to get the fed up animal factor and the slow stream of rabbits are starting to come in.its only august and this is the fifth one in a matter of weeks.
please can you help any advice would be a help. :D :D :D

Oh those poor bunny's how can people do these things.

I would leave the Kits with mum for as long as she can cope with looking after them, i would build mums food up as much as you can with our upsetting her tummy, and have some small animal milk powder on hand just to help the baby's along. XXX

Please leave the babies in with mum however thin she is and provide her with as much hay and pellets that she can eat. Slowly introduce fresh food including greens and grass to her to encourage her milk production to come through to feed her babies on unless you know that she was getting them previoulsy.

ARC have had lots of expectant mums in recently who have been used as 'breeding machines' who have been very thin and malnouriched, the mums will do their best to feed the babies and can normally do a better job than us 2 legged mums can do. It is far better to let them do the job if they can do this.

Good luck

Janice

Hiya,

It's always best to leave the kits with the mum. Hand rearing is very difficult to do at a young age.

Some of the breeders here may have more tips... I think you can give the mum sustitute milk whilst she is feeding them to help her with the calcium etc. also possibly give extra substitute milk to the kits without taking them away from her.

Oats are good, maybe a little wheatabix... introduce anything in small quantities though.

Maybe give her some probiotic and perhaps the vet can recommend some suitable vitamins if you explain the situation?

Tam

thanks. for the quick reply i am just at my wits end i have a appointment at the vets just to get them checked over but i won't be able to move mum just in case. she doesn't need any more stress. and get a date to have the male neutered.at the moment i have her in the living room so that i can keep a close eye on her. i am going to try her with a little brown bread soaked in some semi skimmed milk.and just keep an eye on her that i don't over load her system.

Awww how sad - but well done you for taking them in and careing for them, at least they are in safe hands now.

Will keep fingers and paws crossed for them - poor bunnies :(

Thank goodness they're now wth you and will get some care and attention. Good luck with everything.

hi

I wouldn't give her dairy foods - but Cheryl at spg said she gives her pregnant and nursing guinea pigs a teaspoon of banana or original flavoured Complan - mixed with half a cup of warm water and poured over wholemeal bread - I thought maybe weetabix would be good too.

There's a recipe for kitten milk here:
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

You could always leave kitts with mum then just wear gloves rubbed in her litter tray whilst removing kitts one at a time for a little extra feed - but really it's very dangerous to syringe feed such a tiny baby as they can easily choke - probably best leaving mum to it until they're old enough to lap it up themselves in a few weeks.

hi thanks for all the advice it has helped a lot.she is at the moment getting ready to give birth so fingers crossed. i have managed to work out the camera and enclose pics.
sweetie3.jpg

sweetie2005.jpg

sorry if they seem a little dark didn't want to frighten her.

don't worry didn't give her any. my hubby is going to pick up some from the vets on his way home from work. i rung the vets and they have prescribed her some vitamins and some special milk. think its the stuff they give to pups and kittens. not sure until hubby comes home.
will keep you all posted.
thanks for everything.
the advice has been brill. thanks for everyone concern and thanks for just being on the end of the computer.
got myself in a bit of a state. but feeling lots better now.

good luck with mum and babys why pepole can re home there buns sooner if they cant look after the is beond me the smalest hutch i have is 3 foot and only have a baby nethie in it but 2 foot is way too small :evil:

Hello,

Well done on taking them on. Hope it all goes well. You can get from your vets, powdered kitten formula to make the milk, its called Cimicat and it comes in quite large tubs. You can also get all the feeding equipment from them as well. They should be able to help you. The puppy version is called Welpi and both Cimicat and Welpi can be given straight away to neonates and mother after birth. I also feel that you should leave them the mother for as long as possible. Hope it all goes ok. Let us know.

Amy. x

hi all,
just to let you know that sweetie miscarried the kits last night.
i have found out by other people on the estate that this is her(wouldbe) second litter and that they using the kits as food to their ferrets. so i am really glad she came to me.
she has been seen by the vet who is appauled with her condition.and has now advised me on a diet for her.
she is a lot better today and hopefully make a full recovery.as for her mate banjo he is doing really well and been adopted by all the family so i think i have now another two members to the family.
must win the lottery and buy that nice farm house. :D :lol:
i will keep you posted on how she gets on.and thanks to everyone that posted with advice

Sorry to hear your news, I am sure it must have been a bit of a shock to discover what had happened. I had a guinea pig who lost 5 out of 6 of her litter this week as they were born prematurely (in size), she came in to the rescue with her 3 sisters heavily pregnant. At least now your young lady has the opportunity to get back to good health without being further drained by having to feed another family, something by the look of her in your photos she did not need.

Keep up the good work with these two.

Janice

just to let everyone know that sweetie is slowly on the mend. :lol:
she is starting to eat a little more and had her first taste of a carrot today.
she has started to play with her toys and likes to spend time out for a cuddle.the vitamins and the milk perscribed by the vet are doing wonders and her energy is getting better. :D :D
she has even started to wash herself and even fetches her brush to be groomed. :shock:
i think i am on to a winner here. who is always going to be that bit special in my heart.
:love: :love: :love:

sorry to hear about the babies but at least much can now rebuild her strength . sounds like shes settling in and has already found a place in your heart .
Angie

Back