• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shakey Bunny, your thoughts please...

Hi,

I'm new to rabbits but we've just bought one and she came home with us yesterday. She's living indoors in a big box at the moment until its outdoors home is ready in a couple of days. Anyway, she seems more than happy one minute having a look around etc but a lot of the time she also seems to shake constantly and I'm just wondering whether this means she is scared or just something rabibits do or something she'll stop doing once she's used to her new home etc...

Basically, I want her to be as happy as possible and I'd like to know what the shaking is likley to be...

Hope to hear from someone soon...

Thankyou,
Chris

I would say she was scared, she is just getting to know her new surroundings at the moment, and will take a few days to settle. I would spend as much time with her as you can so she gets to know you and build her trust, so she has nothing to be frightened of.

Excellent, thankyou. Thats what we were hoping but we weren't totally sure whether we should be leaving her alone or spending time with her until she got used to her new home. Thankyou for your reassurance.

Any tips for a new bunny owner?

Thanks

Rabbits don't shake when they are scared, they freeze :)

It's not something normal for a rabbit to do and I'd suggest a check up with the vet. Can you tell us a little more about the shaking? Perhaps we can give you some suggestions for the cause.

Does her whole body shake or just part? Is it shivering like humans do when cold or twitching or swaying?

How old is she? Is she eating/pooping okay?

Best wishes,
Tam

Tamsin said:
Rabbits don't shake when they are scared, they freeze :)

It's not something normal for a rabbit to do and I'd suggest a check up with the vet. Can you tell us a little more about the shaking? Perhaps we can give you some suggestions for the cause.

Does her whole body shake or just part? Is it shivering like humans do when cold or twitching or swaying?

How old is she? Is she eating/pooping okay?

Best wishes,
Tam

its very much like shivering and she is certainly eating and pooping ok.

enjoy your bunny! :D
These guys are great if you're unsure of anything, but I'd agree with what Anna said - spend lots of time with them. We've just got a new bunny as a companion for Bobby and I've not been out o the garden since saturday! They're so much better than tv.

Its not a normal occourence with rabbits but i had the experience on monday at a show.A friend of mine had brought a rabbit to the show to go on the touchy table because it was very friendly at home. Well from the min it was put on the table it started to shake as if it was cold.It did look scared so it was taken off and put back in its cage for the rest of the show. After about ten mins it was ok again, so i guess it rearly was scared Before this ive never seen a rabbit shake like that ever. val

I'd be worried incase there may be an under lying problem that's manifesting when the rabbit is particularly stressed?

It would be certainly be worth discussing it with your vet when she goes for her jabs.

Tam

Back