• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

ARC have more babies!!!!- more pics added!

sophiemarmion

Alpha Buck
As some of you may have read on janices post about ARC overun with babies you may already know that we have taken in 3 more 4 week old buns today, here is the story....

donna got a phone call from a lady saying that she has been struggling to look after her baby rabbits after the mummy bun had died. it turns out that the mother has died of starvation from feeding her babies and not having enough food to even feed herself and keep her healthy. we have taken in these 3 babies and donna took them straight down to the vets as she was very concerned about these little guys as they are all skin and bones and not acting like the typical happy bunny. it was sad news for one of the little ones as she had to be pts, but there is hope for her siblings.

i now have these 2 babies here and am keeping a close eye on them to make sure they pull through after losing the last litter of neglected babies that were brought to us.

they have perked up since the vet has given them some fluids there are drinking and eating so finger, toes, paws crossed please!!!!!

Babies001.jpg

Babies009.jpg

Babies003.jpg

Babies005.jpg

sophie

Oh bless the wee mites - I really hope that they make it - sending lots of healing vibes and plenty of snuggles to them both - xxxx
Run free mummy bunny and little baby bunny - run in the eternal sunshine where nothing and no-one can harm or hurt you again. - xxxx

thanks jay, im sure you know how i have felt about the other babies that we have lost, you put lots of effort in and all doesnt seem to work out how you planned.

im hoping that these are going to be ok and continue to eat and drink!

sophie

Oh, aren't they sweet. Come on little babies, keep eating and getting strong.

You can actually see the bones sticking out in the last two pictures.

We've had a bad time of it in the last two weeks - Sophie's 4 foster babies all died, we had to have an old girl put to sleep last week, Janice has had a lot of guineas born dead (due to the Mum's previous bad care) and one of my long term fosters died today too.
We really need your prayers for these two.

The sole surving guinea pig from a litter of 6 piggies born this morning who all died one by one this morning soon after being born appears to have improved over this afternoon and evening. 'Little Hope' as I have called this very tiny piggie who appeared barely to be alive this morning weighed in at 3/4 oz has been spoon fed tiny amounts of complan every few hours since being born mid morning. They have progressed from being so weak and unable to lift up their head at lunch time to now being able to shuffle around after mum. Little Hope has just been weighed and is now a whole 1 oz, hopefully over night mums milk will come in and allow her to take over the care of Little Hope for us. We are only too aware that the chance of survival of piggies of the weight that Little Hope arrived into this world at are unlikely to survive.

Little Hope's mum came to ARC with 3 other guinea pigs who all were pregnant with their second litter and were just 6 months old and very malnourished. 2 of the other piggies had 6 babies between them who have all now been rehomed, Betty the other guinea pig delivered 3 very small babies 2 weeks ago who were all slightly larger than Little Hope, these unfortunately all died within a few hours of being born.

Janice

Gosh, you have been having a hard time of it recently. Come on Little Hope and babybunnies. You have to make it.

I really dont know how you guys carry on, but thank god that you do. When I went to pick up my hammy from his foster mummy yesterday I had a long chat with her about the Second Chanve Rescue she works with in Birmingham, its so heartbreaking to hear these things. I just pray that you have the strength to continue your fantastic work, despite all the difficulties. I am just happy that of the 6 pets I now have, 5 of them have been rescued from poor conditions and neglect, and can now have a loved and treasured life in my family.

sending healing vibes to all the little babies from us xxxxxx

Little Hope survived the night and was up following mum about this morning although still extreemely shaky, weight wise we are double the birth size which brings me hope that we may win this battle.

I have never before had one so small as this little piggie, so never have I had the need to weigh them and follow their progress which makes it hard to know if we are following the normal developement pattern for weight gain.

It is sittuations like this that which make you keep going and be prepared to take on the next batch who need help.

Janice

Poor mummy bunny, how can people be so cruel - and not even notice she starved to death for the sake of her babies.

You do all you can at ARC, it must be heartbreaking for you when things don't work out :(

Awwww poor bunsters - poor mum and what a sad start to life for these wee ones - goes beyond belief sometimes don't it folks :( :(

Well done Sophie for taking care of them - fingers crossed they make it and find loving forever homes.

hi

poor babies - I'm dreading all my guins giving birth as I don't know what's what with them - I rang the breeder I rescued them from this morning to say they were all doing fine and that I'd cut all the matts off them and bought them nice big cages - she said as I'd spent so much money on them why not breed them for a bit to make some money back?
I despair of this mentality - making a bit of 'pin money' from your pets...I told her nicely that I didn't agree with that :roll:

hope these little ones pull through.

OMG, that's a terrible way to think! They're living creatures, not money making machines. Thank goodness you rescued them elve.
Hope all the babies make it.

Honestly, sofie janice and donna i don't know how you do it. Well done for caring for all these baby's! the piccies are beautiful! X

Oh I do hope Little Hope and the baby bunnies make it - I'm sending lots of thoughts their way.
It can't help being so hot aswell - poor bunnies. You guys at ARC do such a great job!!

thanks everyone!!! :D

on my side of things all seems to be going ok, the babies are eating some mushed up pellets and are eating the hay, i dont want to speak too soon but things seem to be looking up!

sophie

Back