• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

worried about bunny's teeth

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
i've been keeping an eye on my bun's teeth since i got him 3 weeks ago, to make sure they're ok and everything and i thought they were fine since i know they are supposed to overlap when the mouth is closed etc, but i've noticed that the upper front teeth actually rest BEHIND the lower front teeth - is this abnormal? I've also noticed his upper ones are beginning to curl in slightly but his bottom ones are completely straight and fine, but he eats a lot of hay and a lot of vegetables like carrots and greens, so could it be that his teeth are misaligned? he went to the vet last thursday and she did a check over of his teeth while i was there but never mentioned anything, so is there anything i can do if this is not normal?

any advice appreciated! i seem to be on here a lot with questions :(

the front teeth are meant to sit over the bottom teeth and if the bottom teeth are curling then it could be that its just happened , A rabbits teeth grow very quickly so its possible that they were not like that when at the vets . Front teeth probs can be a sign of molar probs as well as they need to allign perfectly to allow the natural wearing down of teeth . I,d go back to the vets as its possible that this has just happened recently .

How old is your rabbit if its a youngster then the bad teeth are inherited and theres nothing you can do to change it, in the long run its usualy best to have them out ,but if the back ones are bad as well then your rabbit will need regualr teeth rasping. val

he's only 3 and a half months old so i guess it must be inherited then... poor bun :( thanks for the advice, i'm taking him to the vet this week.

Back