• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - Bunny neutering and blue cross arrgh!

Lanny

Warren Scout
I have two buns, 1 neutered male and 1 female who we though was neutered.

a couple of months ago I took Fern (female) to the vets as she has an eye problem and the vet said that she thought it was odd that she couldn't feel a scar from a spay operation so we should just double check that she had been done.

so we rang the blue cross and they assured us she had been done! In the last week however she has been acting very odd, digging at everything and being quite aggressive towards us and her male companion. So I called the blue cross agian and asked if they were absolutely sure she had been done.

After 10 minutes being held on the phone I was then told that no she wasn't and in fact they don't spay any females!!!!!! I understand that they are very busy, but I am really really cross with them for twice telling us she was done if I hadn't rang again then I wouldn't have known.

Ok rant over, please can I have any advice on whether to get her spayed, we are going to speak to the vet tomorrow as well.
Sorry for the long post!!!! Thanks

Its terrible that they told you she had been done when she hadn't :shock: What about if she had been put with a male that hadn't been neutered thinking that everything would be okay as she had been :shock: Thank goodness you have found out the truth and can do something about it. I know the Bluecross must be very busy but someone should of told you the truth when you got her.

hi

:shock: How irresponsible of them - it's mind boggling! She could have got pregnant, got uterine cancer, anything - all because they lied...

Getting her spayed will improve hormone related aggression in a few months time after hormone levels drop down - It won't cure fear related aggression from being badly treated in a previous home - only patience will cure that. In addition she may develop reproductive cancers when she's older if not spayed, so if you make sure your vet knows about bunny anaesthetics and pre and post op care for rabbits, there shouldn't be a problem (apart from paying for it!) - some vets are more up to date on cats and dogs - rabbits are different :)

thats disgusting, thats just asking for bunny baby accidents, you shouldnt lie about important things like that, whats mind boggling is that if one of these buns did get pregnant chances are they could end up getting mummy and babies back and will have even more to home, there are so many fantastic rescues talked about on here, i am sure stories like this must make them very angry indeed.

I dont think rescues should be obligated to nueter, but they certainly should lie about doing so

Thanks everyone, I am so disapointed with them I just hope it hasn't happened to anyone else. I have written to the blue cross and asked them to make it a lot clearer on the cages about neuters and vaccines.

I think we will have her done, we have a great rabbit vet and I would def trust her. I am just so glad that she didn't come into contact with an uneutered male!! :shock:

She is such a well tempered bun as well and so this is so out of character, I hope the spay won't change her too much and also I am a bit concerned about her and donny being apart!

That is really bad form! If its routine not to spay females why didnt they tell you???. I think you should get her done . i agree with Elve.

I am absolutely amazed that a big charity like the Blue Cross don't spay their females. They have their own vets and a very high income so it's not as though it's due to cost.

If they aren't making it clear to people that the bunnies aren't spayed they must be responsible for many accidental litters. It really makes me cross when the big charities do this sort of thing (including being too ready to put animals to sleep).
You do need to write to them explaining that you weren't given the right information as written complaints are more likely to be dealt with.

As for separating Fern and Donny - don't! If a pair are already bonded we never separate for neutering. They both go to the vets so that the partner is there when the rabbit comes round. It is a very stressful experience and to take away her partner adds to the stress greatly. We have NEVER had a problem with this and we have had many hundreds done!
If your vet says this isn't necessary or advises against it - insist!
Unfortunately vets often look on things from the easiest medical point of view and not from the rabbits welfare view. x

Thanks donna, we have a bunny-savvy vet so I would hope this would be ok.

I have written a letter to the blue cross explaining that I am very dissapointed with this and that it is ESSENTIAL that new owners are given all the information esp something as important as whether they are neutered or not. Now we have to put our poor Ferny through more upheval it just isn't fair on her!!! :evil:

Just to let you know that not all Blue Cross centres are like that .......

And we aren't too ready to put animals to sleep either!!! :shock:

Anybody wants anymore info PM me, I work for them btw.

Nicola

Oh I know nicolar. I don't mean to tar everyone with the same brush. The bunnies are really well looked after there and they do a fab job.

I am just dissapointed that they overlooked this and let themselves down, at least we can do something about it.

Nic, I wonder if it would be worth you letting them know at work about this and seeing if it can be looked into, it may stop it happening to anyone else

Back