• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

could my girl be a boy?

smokeys owner

Warren Scout
My next door neighbour got her rabbits from the same shop as I got mine and she just found out one of her girls has been a boy all along, luckily they were too young to mate. I've been thinking that my girls have been displaying male signs especially snowy in particularly she's been spraying her urine, scenting everything she sees and is very destructive and digs constantly, but when I stroke her I can feel lumps under her belly so I guess they might be nipples. I would try and sex her but understandably she does'nt like her privates being touched and goes mad whenever I try and do it.

Unless she's pregnant it's unlikely that her nipples would be obvious without rumaging in the fur.

You need to look at her bits to know for certain. Behaviour can gives clues but there is nothing that only a boy will do or only a girl will do. Best thing is to ask the vet to check when you take her in for her jabs :)

Tam

you realy must check her to make sure . we had a female rabbit brought in recently who was about 4 year old . when i picked her up to check her over it was obvious she wasnt a she after all.
please check or if you are not sure ask your vet . better safe than sorry.

You could always get someone else to hold her while you have a look, but like Tam said or was it Adele 'get your vet to check when you go for their jabs' it needs doing sooner rather than later.

Back