• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

MYX and VHD jabs..

sarattie

Alpha Buck
I am due to get harveys jabs... but want to check before i do..

Buddy never had any jabs. the vet said because he was a house bun and never came in contact with other buns or much outside that he wouldnt need them after a healthy 7 years i guess it never did any harm...

but now i have harvey i justwant to check this.... is this right or should i do it anyway??

Hes 4 months old now so will be old enough to have the 2 jabs.. (I assume these are yearly??) should i do it or do the same as i did with buddy and not??

sorry for probably asking a very obvious question/

all my bunnies have been house bunnys but although the risk is lower I still got them done as there is still a chance they can catch it . Chico got his yearly but cheeky got his myxi twice a year and his vhd once a year . I,d just rather have the peace of mind that they are covered . My two new housebunnies are 11 weeks old now and they had their myxi last week and are going back for their vhd in two weeks time . They can actually get the jabs from 8 weeks old according to my vet , usually the myxi fiorst and the vhd a few weeks later , i,ve always had mine done as although they are indoor rabbits , they still have access to outdoors but there is also the risk of the common housefly etc transmitting the bacteria , better to be safe than sorry .

you have nothing to loose by getting their boosters done but everything to loose if you don,t get them done if you know what I mean .

Since there's no cure for myxi or VHD, I'd much rather get mine vaccinated just incase, even though they are house buns. They do get to run out in the garden, and we get a lot of wild buns here (surrounded by a farm), and I'm sure I read VHD can be transmitted on your hands and clothes.
If you have the myxi jab twice a year, and VHD once, and they're about £20 each, it only works out at £5 a month, a small price to possibly save your bun's life

Gabriel is a house bunny and i think im pretty much in a low risk area, but i still got him vacinnated against VHD and myxi, its better to be safe then sorry!

Mxyi is spread by blood sucking insects so if you get a mosqito inside or a flea from a cat/dog that could infect your rabbit. VHD is spread by touch and you can carry it on your clothing or shoes. So you could walk through a field, stroke an infected rabbit somewhere etc.

Being a house rabbit helps lower the risk but it certainly doesn't remove it altogether :(

Tam

My two are going for their Myxi jabs tomorrow and I'll make an appt fot their VHD for a fortnights time are there any side effects to look out for? We've only had them a fortnight so I'm a bit worried I wouldn't notice anything different about them (hopefully I will).My sister in laws vet told her that her rabbit didn't need doing as there hadn't been any problems in our area but I still feel I ought to give them a fighting chance against it.

The mxyi should be done with a little bit right under the skin and the rest deep into the scruff. Occasionaly you may find a litle scabby lump at the injection site but it usually goes pretty quick and just shows your bunny has a good immune response.

The VHD should be done two weeks after the myxi into the scruff. Some bunnies on here have experienced a limp after their VHD but my vet who had never heard of it hypothesised that perhaps it got a bit too close to the muscle when injected.

Caz

Back