• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what litter do you use?

Ryo_the_rat

Warren Scout
just wondering what everyone else uses in their litter trays?

at the moment i am using carefresh in Gabriels litter tray, but been as he seems to be using the tray to pee in now, i will be having to change it more regularly and carefresh isnt the cheapest litter!

i wouldnt use megazorb(got some for the rats and absolutely hated the stuff) so what else is out there to try?

i use tescos wood based litter pellets for my inside bunnies and my outside bunnies i put newspaper in their litter tray as i have so many bunnies!!!!

sophie

I used to use wood based cat litter but i've just got a big litter tray so now i put newspaper at the bottom and some hay on top.

i do put a thick layer of newspaper under the carefresh, but if it was just newspaper i dont think it would work as the rest of his cage is covered with newspaper too!
how much is the tesco wood based litter? hope you dont mind me asking!

I cut cage liners to fit in the bottom of the litter box and just put her wood chips on top. I'll put some hay in the back to intise her in. But I'm thinking I shouls just put hay in it to make the point that it's different than the rest of her cage. I used to use a bunny litter but it was like $6 for a pound and being a broke college student wasn't going to happen...

I mix the carefresh with shredded paper. My parents have a great shredder that cuts in 2 directions making small shreds. I need to get one as it was only £10 from Lidl...missed that bargain!!

morrissons woodbased cat litter is very good .Its what i use with hay on top. a small bag lasts me about a month but cant remember how much it is . sorry

Mine are on Vetbed, with newspaper in the litter trays, and change it twice a day. I prefer not to house any of my animals on woodshavings/sawdust/wood pellets if I can help it, there's so much concern about whether the phenols in it cause kidney damage and other problems that I'd rather use an alternative. The only ones I've got on it now are the mice - I have tried others but it really smells, and since it's not just me in the house, I have to make do with whatever keeps the smell to a minimum. Once they move into the outside shed (made of brick, heated, going to be ratproofed, etc.) it won't matter so much and I'll probably go back to using Carefresh or Ecopetbed (chopped cardboard litter). OK, rambling now :roll:

I use tescos wood cat litter.. its £3.99 for 10 litres. My local petshop also does a Fussypuss wood cat litter which was a little cheaper but they only do it in massive sacks now which i cant carry up 2 flights of stairs very easily so i go to tescos instead.

I use a paper based cat litter, only been using it for a little while but it seems very good. Can't remember what it is called though!

Hey there Ryo!!

I use biocatolet, harvey and the ratties have it so it saves getting 2 different types... i get on really well with it, and my local supplier delivers it to my door which saves me even going to get it!! How lazy am I

it is recycled paper pellets. its got a pleasant smell and great for absorbing. because its dust free and wood free its ideal for my rats and harvey, which suits me great. i would definately advise giving it a try.

i tried carefresh, too light, got kicked out, tried yesterdays news, too hard for ickle feet and my god its LOUD!!! once you have lots of feet in it its too noisy!!

So for harvey, its vetbed on the floor and boicatolet in the tray, and for the rats its ecopetbed on the floor and biocatolet in the trays too! works perfect for me!!

wow, so many replies!

i completely forgot about biocatolet, must see if the pet shop can order me some in! do you mind me asking how much you usually pay for it and how big the bag is? im assuming its better value for money then carefresh is! i hate the smell of carefresh aswell!

At the moment I do not have enough money so that I can get the good litter, and not the cheap stuff, so I'm just using good old newspaper. It is cheap, and works. Just have to change it 1-2 times a day

I'm using a paper based one from Morrisons at £1.99 a bag. It's really absorbant. I put a layer of straw on top and a little hay at the corners .for nibbling on.

Back