• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying advice needed

nreal_hill

Warren Scout
Hi I need to get some more opinions.

We have 3 bunnies living togther at the moment 2 neutered males and an un-spayed female. The reason she is un-spayed is because we bought her with her little sister, took them to be spayed Januray this year and unfortunetly when the vet put the first little girl under the anasthetic she died. As this was rare and the bunnies were blantantly related he didn't do the other little girl for fear the problem was genetic.

Now I know it is better for health reasons to have her spayed but my wife and I decided that we didn't want to risk her as if I took her in to be done now and she died I'd never forgive myself.

Thing is I keep wondering recently whether this was the right decision or not? She seems happy - apart from a tad of nesting every now again. Is it worth the risk? Also are there any different ways of spaying so she didn't have to go under the gas?

If anyone has any suggestions then cheers.

hi

It's not compulsory to spay bunnies - but it is a wise decision normally...What you should do is weigh up the risks - The risk of a bunny getting cancer after the age of 3 or 4 isn't that well documented - the statistics are old and based on a group of genetically related females - But since you generally don't know the genetics of your rabbit, it's usually a good idea to be cautious and get her spayed.

I think with your girl, you have another set of genetic statistics which show sensitivity to anaesthetic - that's more concrete a fact than a genetic succeptability to cancer with her - so I would go with the least risk and not get her spayed if she were mine - But I would keep a sharp eye out for any secondary lumps or bleeding from 'down there' or listlessness and losing weight, as these are all signs of uterine cancer - and if that were to happen then an operation would become the lesser risk, if you see what I mean?

It sounds as if in these circumstances you are making the right decision. If she gets on with the others, isn't excessively agressive, isn't getting too many false pregnancies, at least not ones that affect her too badly, then the relative risks are the things to weigh up, and it sounds as if the risk from anaesthetic is quite high, whereas the risk from cancer is less certain for her as an individual. You can always keep an eye on her and take the risk if the balance ever shifts.

The older anesthetics that they used before gas were actually far more risky for rabbits, so I wouldn't have thought there would be a good alternative.

I think you have made the right decision here . go along with your vets advice and as elve says keep a close eye on her for worrying symptons. One of my does hasnt been spayed and i had to make a similar decision.

in would still advise to get the bunny spayed but to try another vet, what area are you in someone may be able to recommend a vet in near you.

does she set your 2 boys off sometimes?

i just think for health reasons it is better for them, i do understand your concern though and you have to feel right with the decision that you make.

sophie

I must admit I don't think I would be comfortable with taking her back. We do keep a close eye on her (well actually we keep a close eye on all of them). I'm not sure if she really sets the boys off, we had a small incident a little while back, but that's not bad for them being together coming up to 9 months.

Thanks. It's always good to get other people opinions!!! :D

Back