• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

lice

Michelle

Warren Scout
hi

this is a bit of a stupid question, but, i found out today that i have caught head lice! and i was wondering do you think i could have passed them on to my rabbit? because i have been getting rather close to him lateley which mean that they could have been transfered? am i just being paranoid or do you think this could actually happen???

I would not have thought so as head lice are different to animal fleas.

As a mum who went through this with Gabby last year I can sympathise - however Full Marks mousse is very good and it has the added advantage of being able to be used on dry hair.

And rermember they only like clean hair so it is nothing to be embarrassed about :D

lol Pam

Isn't the 'they only like clean hair' thing a myth?
Still, we accept that our dogs, cats, birds and small animals get lice, mites, worms, etc. without necessarily being dirty or unhygenic, so it really isn't anything embarrasing or unusual for humans to pick up parasites too.

I think head lice just like hair - the longer the better (nice and warm). As a kid I got them loads as I was always hugging my mates etc and I remember hating being treated the smell was awful and my whole family had to be treated too :? . It was only just over 10 years ago but the treatments now are a whole lot better!

I have a friend who is a primary school teacher and was horrified to find she had caught them recently ;) :lol: !

Caz

Yup, this is a concern for me when I start teaching french in primary schools next week. Just son't get too close to the little terrors!

lice are species specific, so therefore we cant catch lice off our small furries, and they cant catch them off us! my ratties have had lice quite a few times, but the first ever time i was so scared i was going to catch them LOL but every vet i have spoken to about it has said the same thing-species specific!

Back