• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Your thoughts on our bunny set up...

monkeypuzzler

Mama Doe
Okay, bear with me whilst I explain this.

We currently have 4 buns sharing a large run with built in hutch, that also has a standard sized hutch in the run.

We used to have 5 buns living together here, in two distinct groups of 3 (Maggie, Flip and Harvey) and 2 (Storm and Mocha).

Since Mocha passed away earlier this year :cry: Storm has never fully bonded with the other three. They tolerate each other fine, and get on with life side by side, but Storm always sleeps in the smaller hutch on her own and never gets close enough to the others for cuddles.

So, what I'm wanting your thoughts on, is whether we should try and bond Storm with a new companion, so she could have some of that closeness back that she's missing. We don't really have space for another enclosure, but it's easy enough to split the one we have now.

Our initial thoughts were to split it temporarily and get her a companion, then once they are bonded try to get the whole group back together again. If that doesn't work, we'll sort out a more permanent living solution for them.

Do you think this is a good idea? Do you think she is lonely?
If we do get her a companion, our first instincts would be a young male, does this sound right?

Sorry I'm so full of questions, but I know you are the right people to ask!

Roo
x

hi

Are you sure she's not just sleeping in the small hutch out of habit? Do the others actually chase her out of their hutch? If they don't then I guess she might sleep with them if you take her hutch out of the run - But if they are hostile when she goes in their hutch then I guess you will have to find her another friend - But bonding a new rabbit to the group could all go horribly wrong, so try the hutch thing first if the others don't mind her being in their house :)

Thanks for the speedy reply.
We've never seen them let her in the main hutch. They don't tend to be violent, just big and imposing, and blocking the way in very deliberately. Sometimes they give her a little growl to see her off!

I reckon she could tell we were talking about her. Was just outside, and the trio were in the upstairs part of their hutch, and Storm snuck up into the downstairs and had a nibble on their food. As soon as Maggie poked her head down the stairs she dashed back out again though!

Just bumping this up to the top a bit to see if anyone else could give me any thoughts advice on this one, as in whether to get another bun and how to handle it if we do...

Back