• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bar chewing, what can I do to stop it

cazza269

Mama Doe
Coby is chewig the bars of his crate, obviously I am a bit worried about his teeth, will he damage them doing this?

he has toys, plenty hay etc so what can I do to stop him?

thanks :) I have tried the "tell him no" thing and he just draws me a look that says, beat it I am enjoying this!!!

Try using cable ties to attach some pieces of bunny edible wood along the bars in his favourite spot.

Bar chewing can be a sign of frustration/boredom - does he play with his toys? Rabbits are abit like children, they become easily bored with toys and want the new ones. Try rotating his toys so he doesn't have the same ones all time. Also encouraging foraging behaviour by hiding his food around the dog crate in/under/on things and with his toys might give him something else to do.

Tam :D

thanks Tamsin, he does take much notice of his toys, I do rotate them, but I think he is a chewer, the twig thing sounds good, and most likely to work I think, what type should I look for?

have you an apple tree or wilow is best you could give him some boxes mine like the small one filled with hay and treat or two or the ever popular yellow pages

cheeky used to do that , in the end i attached a salt lick , mineral stones etc , even bits of carrot n stuff , anything that was more appealing than the bars :shock:

Hey Cazza,

If you go onto the chin site, they sell straw mats and they are only £1.69 each.... if you get some plant tie/wire whatever its called, tie this to cobeys cage actually against the bars.. if you know what i mean! Horizontally against the bars! It works a treat!!!! If you don't know what I mean cus I am pretty naff at explaining these things, let me know and I will get a piccy of how I have done Soph's. She loves it and its great for her teeth!!!! :wink: :wink: :D I don't cover all the bars btw, I usually just tie one straw mat to the bars and then Soph concentrates on chewing that instead!!

I've got a couple of baskets from Bunnymail (I think it was) and Bobby loves chewing it. It was originally meant as a basket to put the forage in, but he's systematically snipped it to pieces! Keeps him out of mischief I suppose :D

ooh that sounds a good idea laura...on this subject, you know these ornament twig ball things you can buy? are these safe for bunnies?

I will only buy them from bunny mail and sites like that as i know they are untreated from them... buying them from next or somewhere is a risk as the balls my be treated with something!

How big is his cage?
Simba used to always chew on his bars as soon as i shut him in his cage but since he has been in his 48" dog crate he hasnt nibbled once! I put it down to bordom.. and the fact he couldnt run around as much. I guess now he is more at home with more space and places to hide etc.

Tamsin said:
Try using cable ties to attach some pieces of bunny edible wood along the bars in his favourite spot.

I was about to suggest a similar idea: In the bird section of pet store, they have those cotton or nylon ropes dangle with pretty color wood (circle like bead or triangle, all wood). Hang one of those near that area for your bunny to chew.

My bunny Apathy sometimes does that, but only when I push fruit ( especially banana's ) through the bars of his cage. He likes to lick and get the remaining fruit off the bars. :lol:

Here you go Cazza :D This is pics of Sophie and her straw mats! I will apologise now if they turn out huge, o/h isnt here to resize them!!! :oops: :oops: :lol: :roll:

DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

omg, they are huge :roll: Sorry! Will wait until o/h comes home in future!!!!!

My bedroom bunnies do that in the morning when they think it is about time I got up and let them out :lol: :lol: :? They are loose except at night, as they found too many things to chew under my bed when they were freerange :evil:

Back