• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New litter!

At about 5pm yesterday I went into the shed to see how Hyzenthlay, the only doe of breeding age I have at the moment (she survived the Mucoid Enteritis problems in my stud and didn't get ill), was doing. I saw her crouched low in the right hand corner of the hutch nearest to me. I saw she had plucked a lot more fur and was sitting in it, so I thought she might want some more straw. I brought some back and put some in near her, then she started like washing down below. I saw one of the kittens actually being born! Amazing, never witnessed that before! It gave me a bit of a shock, and needless to say I closed the hutch hastily, but carefully and not suddenly so as not to frighten her. I thought she was due for the 31st-2nd, as she had been with Denim (Hilary Jessey's buck which she kindly lent me) before the first of this month, but not (or so I though) mated successfully! Well I quietly went back in and she was licking a newborn wriggling kit, a butterfly pattern.

I'd forgotten how wonderful this excitement really is! There are three kittens, one self and two butterfly. Tiny things, very cute and I think a tad smaller than my normal, but all are the same size and all have full bellies! Not sure about markings yet, but one butterfly might be a hopeful... but a very big might- back markings are good on both but one seems to have white on ears, couldn't tell on the other, and can't tell noses yet from just peeping in the nest (uncovered to keep them cool- just as we left she was recovering them to keep them cosy tonight). Hyzenthlay is a proud mum, has really taken to it, washed them all and obviously fed them, and is now tucking into her pellets, back to her normal petite size and looking bonnier and more beautiful than ever!

This morning she had piled lots of bedding on the nest- first time does, as you might know, do this sometimes thinking it will keep their babies warm. I thought they might have died by being smothered or cooked in the nest, however, I carefully distraced mum with some Goats Milk and an apple and removed the bedding to reveal three hot, but live and healthy kittens! Well fed and a bit wriggly. *little darlings* I threw out some of the bedding and left the nest and the normal sawdust on the floor and I'm keeping an eye out so out doesn't happen again- so fingers crossed!

I'm so pleased though, an so proud of my little girly. :D

owww bless her i ont have eney breeding stock at the moment but i am going to show my nethies frist show is november

Back