• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flawed animal tests

luvabun

Warren Veteran
The debacle of the so-called wonder drug Vioxx has once agan opened up the testing on animals debate. Here's an excerpt from a news article about a lawsuit filed against a major pharmaceutical company..

"In a lawsuit filed this week, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) alleges that Merck & Co. wrongfully relied on tests showing Vioxx was safe in animals while ignoring mounting evidence that the drug is dangerous to humans. Vioxx, a best-selling painkiller, was pulled off the market last fall, after the VIGOR clinical trial showed cardiac risk to humans. This is believed to be the first time a U.S. pharmaceutical company has been sued specifically for relying on animal tests.

“Merck endangered public health by relying on inapplicable animal tests rather than relevant and available human data,” says Dan Kinburn, PCRM associate general counsel. The injured plaintiff, Nancy Tufford, a PCRM member from Minnesota, is seeking $1 million in damages because she developed congestive heart failure while taking Vioxx.

The lawsuit charges that Merck was well aware of the limitations of animal testing—that animal studies are often inconsistent, species-dependent, and not useful in predicting drug safety or efficacy in humans. At least nine of 11 mice and rat studies, for example, showed Vioxx to be beneficial for animal hearts. The suit accuses Merck of using these and other inapplicable animal data to justify keeping Vioxx on the market. It also states that Merck knew of more effective safety assessment methods, such as postmarket surveillance of patient reactions, in vitro tests using human cells and tissues, and computer modeling, but failed to employ these methods.

At a news conference held in Washington, D.C., today, Dallas-based cardiologist and PCRM consultant John J. Pippin, M.D., F.A.C.C., shared the results of his research into the Vioxx tragedy, including a new “smoking gun. Dr. Pippin presented data from an unpublished study on African green monkeys that Merck used as additional evidence of Vioxx’s supposed safety.

“Animal tests clearly show Vioxx to be safe, but these tests simply do not apply to humans,” Dr. Pippin said. “Merck was wrong to rely on data from mice, rats, and African green monkeys when faced with compelling evidence that human patients are at risk,” says Dr. Pippin. “Ultimately, Merck’s reliance on scientifically flawed animal tests led to human injury and death.”

Muhammad Mamdani, PharmD, M.A., M.P.H., senior scientist and leader of the Drug Research Group at the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences in Toronto, Ontario, also participated in the news conference. Dr. Mamdani, the lead author of a recent human-based study in The Lancet that links Vioxx to congestive heart failure, has stated that studies with mice and monkeys are not always predictive of a drug’s effect in human patients. "

sorry I know its not rabbits but they do use rabbits (Totti lookalikes :cry: ) in animal tests which is why I've posted this here.

animal testing.

Hi gill :D It has been known for many years that animals react differently to drugs than humans. :( there is no need to continue to test any drugs on animals as there are many more accurate ways of testing BUT they are much more expensive & animals are a very cheap alternative to these methods :( as long as drug companies put their profits before ethics then animals will continue to be used in this vile trade :( I think they should be shamed into giving up this practice :(

Hi Jill, another interesting fact is, did you know that most of childrens drugs have never been tried on children so it really is pot luck what we give our kids. I read this in take a break and it made for scarey reading :shock:

I dont believe in testing on animals :( I have always said that if ever I became terminally ill, I would voluntarily test experimental drugs, as it would hopefully help mankind to find better ways to find cures for things like cancer. Its a bit like that anit depressant drug that has been proven to give certain people suicidal thoughts and some have actually carried this through :( an animal would not have been able to show this side effect to the drug, can you imagine what the poor animal went through :(

Re: animal testing.

rabshan said:
I think they should be shamed into giving up this practice :(
They have no shame but hopefully a number of costly lawsuits may make them think again..... OK I'm living in cuckoo land :roll:

drugs.

Hi gill :D you are NOT living in cloud cuckoo land :( its the REAL world & its not one that I like very much :evil: the drug companies are forced by law to test every drug (even though they have already been tested many times) on a certain number of animals before they are allowed to market them :( how many millions more poor creatures are to be drugged & killed in such a disgusting way when it is not necessary :evil:

I have always said that if ever I became terminally ill, I would voluntarily test experimental drugs, as it would hopefully help mankind to find better ways to find cures for things like cancer.

The thing is, experimental drugs have usually been tested on animals too. My o/h regularly volunteers for studies to test new drugs (all drugs are generally tested on healthy humans before tested on sick people). Often in the information about the drug, it tells you of the animals it has been tested on and what reactions they had to it, if any. The drugs are then tried on sick patients.

I would be interested to learn of alternatives to animal testing; I am totally against it for testing cosmetics and other luxury items but I have mixed feelings about it for medical use.

I used to think all animals used for testing were probably kept in appalling conditions, I imagined tiny cages and bored animals, but a friend of mine worked at a test centre cleaning out the mice and rats, and she said they were well cared for, had plenty space, were well handled, and had plenty of toys etc. to play with: I guess its in the best interests of the testers that the animals are happy and healthy, just because they are being used to test products doesn't neccessarily mean they have to have completely miserable lives...

I do think there need to be stricter controls on animal testing, so the animals lead the best lives possible. Scientists should avoid animal testing unless they are absolutely certain it can be of some use, after all as the original post points out animals and humans can react differently to drugs.

I'm proud of my o/h for being a "human guinea-pig" as such, the drugs they have experimented with on him have gone on to be used to fight diseases such as cancer and diabetes. It is not something I could do, but I am glad someone does it, and part of me is glad that the drugs are tested on animals before they are tested on him.

Animal testing has also provided medicine for our pets: baytril, for example, was extensively tested on various animals. On a different note, I believe the majority of the rabbit food mix we buy was developed for the animal testing market rather than for the pet market.

I know this is a controversial subject, I don't want to offend anyone with my views, but I think in some cases that animal testing is justified, but the way it is done certainly needs to be regulated and changed.

animal testing.

Hi :) I belong to AA no not that one :wink: not yet anyway but animal aid & they often display pics of grotesque animals that have been "created" by scientists for erm! what?these poor creatures rarely live very long & are unable to breed (not that that is a bad thing) apparently in the name of science, the suffering must be horrendous yet they still do it :evil: it has to stop :evil: :evil:

Back