• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Finally...!!

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
Oh my, Its been so long since I've been on! First of all, I want to apologize for being gone for so long, I'm really trying :roll:!!!

Right now my computer has a horrid virus, and I had to beg my dad to get on just to type a quick post! Its going so slow...I cant even see what I'm typing!

Well, I'm really trying to catch up on all that is going on, I just love the new Rainbow Bridge section. When my computer is fixed I will add a few things there :smile:

Okey, sorry that this is kind of in the wrong section, but I do need some help, and I dont think my computer will let me make more than one post :evil:

So, here is the prob. Its Oliver again :( . He makes me so sad, because he seems like he is so sad! He hardly eats anything, barely drinks, and doesn't move in his cage. It doesn't really help either that I am gone all day,so I barely have time to keep him company. I feel so bad because Daisy and Blaise are fine will out my attention during the day, because they have each other, but oliver only has me, and I'm not there for him.

I took him in the house today for some mummy-Oliver time...and he seemed so happy with me, he was kissing me and nudging me like crazy! I have a huge problem on my hands, and a very uphappy bun.

What I would idealy would like to do would be bring him up to my room, and have him be my little baby. I would even love if he slept with me. But that cant happen. My doggie, bestest friend, wont allow that. He hates the buns so much, and I've tried to get him to just at least ignore them, but today he went he went after oliver(of course they were a safe distance apart)

What do you think I should do. He doesn't like toys, he isn't a huge eater, and I just cant get another bun(to be his compainion) at the moment. What would you guys do?

Well, it was great chatting and I will *try* to get back on to see your replies...just remember that even if I cant post at the moment, I am still lurking and I am here for you guys!

xxx Leah

P.S- he is perfectly healthy, and even though he doesn't eat or drink much, he stays healthy and pysically happy. Its just the boredom problem, I just wanted to clear that up so no one is worried!

Hello!

I worry about my bun being bored when he's alone too. I work irregular hours so sometimes I'll be in and have loads of time for him but other times he gets less out of cage time. I've not got him a partner yet as he has health problems.
To make it more fun for him when he's alone, I hide his food and some treats in his bedding, so he has to work to find it. Cardboard boxes are great for keeping him occupied too. He loves chewing so I give him lots of different things to chew in his cage: willow balls, twigs, chunks of wood with bark, and a chewable tunnel thing. I don't know if this would work for your bun, mine loves his food - he would eat a bag of pellets a day if I let him!!

Remember, rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk: I find the days when I am home with Jack he pretty much just sleeps between 9am and 7pm, the only difference if I'm there is he's sleeping under my desk rather than sleeping in his cage, so I don't feel too guilty about leaving him to go to work for a day!!

Is there any way you could bond Oliver with Daisy and Blaise? Or do they not get along?

Another thought: maybe your dog and Oliver could take turns sleeping in you room? Maybe week about? I don't know if that would be a good idea though, it might upset their routines, and if Oliver's an outdoor bun then the constant changes in temperature might not be good for him...

Hope thats a little help, good luck!!

Kate and Jack xx

Oh, thanks for your reply! My problem with oliver is that he is not at all a toy bun, and he doesn't like treats. I have tried Oliver with Blaise and Blaise just attacks Oliver like crazy! So, no luck!

Well, thats for your reply again, and I will try the toys and treats Idea again!

Hi Leah

Sorry you have had problems with your computer...they are wonderful and horrible when things go wrong :oops:

Poor Oliver....I am sure when this is noted you will get some help for him

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The best solution I've figured would be have him in my room with me. Has anyone had a dog that doesn't tolerate buns, but you trainted the doggie to ignore it? Any advice on bonding doggies and buns is highly appreciated!

Thanks again for the replies, I know its hard because I haven't been on much, but soon I'll have the computer fixed!

xxx Me and the buns!

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/dogs.html - may help.

I just got a 5 month Rottweiler at the weekend and so far she has been brilliant with my rabbits although she acted as scared of them as they were of her at first :roll: !

I just made sure they were in their runs and she was introduced to them in a positive way with lots of fuss and treats when she was good around them. The rabbits got treats too so they would associate her with good things.

The problem may be the breed? What breed is your dog? Rottweilers are herding and guarding breeds so their instinct is to look after other animals but if you have a greyhound, lurcher or jack russel you will have to work very hard to counteract their natural rabbit killing instinct.

Caz

Back