• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Time to neuter?

Myst

Young Bun
Since I found out 'cuddles' is a male (still trying to pick new name ;) )

I'v been waiting for his testes to drop, and today they did, well i'v only noticed them today.. they weren't there at all 3 days ago.. unless he retracted them a whole lot :shock:

anyways, he also started spraying as of today, and humping captain :?

so can I book him in for neutering next week?
I'm probably being over fussy, but just maing sure.. since they are 'new' you dont have to wait a period or anything?
You can just snip snip? :p

I think captain would appreciate if Cuds was done asap as he wont get off his back :lol:

Ta :)

i think the testes have to be fully descended and the bunny must be at least 5 months old . I,ve got two boys (brothers) , they are 10 weeks old now and i,ve already notcied that gismos are showing a little but baileys are not . They will be getting done when the vet feels its time or if they start spraying , humping etc . Maybe i,m wrong tho so I,d be taking a little trip to the vets .

Like gina paul says, if he is at least five months old then I'd take him along to the vet and get an expert opinion :D Not sure what would happen if during surgery they found the testes weren't descended enough yet :? presumably your vet wouldn't agree to neutering until they had descended fully. If the vet says it he isn't ready yet but maybe ready in so many weeks, you could book another appointment for that time and then see what the verdict is then :D

Depends on the vet. My has always done males from 4 months. I know Arc's vet does them as young as 12 weeks. Technically if they are decended they can be done so long as your vet is happy with Cuddles size and health :D

Tam

i always thought they had to fully dropped. does size (the bunny's! :wink: ) make a difference to how quickly they develop???. i've got a french lop who is about 13weeks and they're only barely visible - i didn't believe he was a boy until friday, is he just a slow developer?

Hi, yeah he would be at/past the 5 months mark, I was waiting for his testes to appear before booking him in :wink:
*reminds self to check date I got him to check exact age* :oops:

My vet said usually it is ok for male neuters with dwarf breeds at 5 months, and she does a lot of rabbit neuters, she's very considerate, having 'rabbit days' so that the rabbits wont be disturbed by barking dogs during their recovery.
She did captain so I'm not worried about the surgery.. I was just wondering since he already had fully dropped testes when I got him.

I'm pretty sure cuds are fully dropped.. they 'fill' the sac :oops:

It probably won't be immediately anyways, as the vet needs a few more buns booked in before she can do a bunny day :p

I guess I shall just keep my carpet scrubber handy until then :? :lol:

Back