• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats happening to my bun?? help :(

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
I've seen this happen to tobey (3 month 1 week old lionhead lop buck) 5 times since i got him 2 weeks ago.. basically, sometimes (not every time) after he has a little binky round the room, when he stops his body suddenly looks like he's got violent hiccups except he doesn't make any noise and they are quite quick, for example 1 every 1 and a half seconds, and there are usually about 10 of these quick jolts and then it stops. He doesn't seem in pain and his ears and nose move around as normal, but i'm really worried as it almost looks like muscle spasm or something like that, and happens after he's got quite excited. And i've heard that lionheads can be prone to fits? i'm hoping it's not the beginnings of epilepsy or something. Has anyone got any ideas? I thought i'd come here first for an idea before calling the vet.

aaaawwwww you sound like a very concerned Bunny Mummy :(
It could just be that Toby has colic after running around madly, I know our bunnies do silent hiccups on occasions, especially if binkying shortly after eating food.
I am sure it is not related to having fits, but I suggest taking Toby to your vets so he/ she can give him a check up and listen to his chest.
Sometimes bunnies can grasp for breathe after exertion if they have an underlying chest infection, so best to rule this out.

Please try not to worry too much, I am sure your vet can reassure you.
Give Toby a snuggle from me.
Best wishes
Adele

ahh you could be right about the hiccups.. i noticed this evening he had just had some dinner before he did the binkying and then that happened.. so if it happens again i'll have to remember if he's eaten or not because like i say it doesnt happen every time he binkies but i've never seen it happen when he hasnt binkied just before.. so maybe it is him giving himself the windypops by rushing round just after eating!! i hope so but i will check all with the vet anyway.

Thanks for the advice its made me feel a little better as it is scary to watch it happen not knowing what it is!

not to worry you or anything as i'm sure this is not what your bunny has! But they can have fits, it might be worth a check! hope hes ok :D

I have seen what looks like hiccups in very young babys, but have never seen an older rabbit with them. If there is nothing else,then perhaps it is hiccups, strange post this one :D .Sure hes fine. val

hi, don't worry too much although if it will reassure you see the vet. i've had two bunnies who do this. mopsy was the first and only bunny i'd had that did it, he lived a long healthy life before passing away this year. when i got bailey after losing mops he does the same!!! i've got three others none of them do it and over the years none of my other bunnies have done it. i quite like it that bailey does what mopsy did, i've always just assumed it was bunny hiccups and it certainly hasn't troubled them and like you say it only lasts about a minute or two. i'm sure there's nothing to worry about...

taylor v 109 said:
I have seen what looks like hiccups in very young babys, but have never seen an older rabbit with them. If there is nothing else,then perhaps it is hiccups, strange post this one :D .Sure hes fine. val

funny you mentioned that because my new rabbit, she is 8 week old, does it twice so far after she ate.

My theory is that because I have to mix 50% of her old pellet + 50% of my new pellet, the old one is NOT extruded, so after she drink a lot of water, that 50% expands inside her stomach, maybe expands a bit too much.

But I've no choice because I can totally switch to my extruded brand Martin over night as that would upset her diet.

As to older rabbit has hiccups, my last rabbit has done it once or twice that I have noticed.

However, all of these occasions, the current rabbit and the last one, they all only lasts a short while, like 1 min. or 2 min., then they stopped.

Whereas w/ me, it took me a while to stop, although I rarely have hiccups.

Back