• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

mini lop ear refused to eat!

alixtirian

New Kit
a few months ago, my rex died after having him for many years and he was very old, but he dies a healthy happy rabbit. i then bought a mini lop eared rabbit who absolutely efused to eat. he dies after a week of me having him. his behaviour was fine, he was very friendly, easy to handle and quite affectionate. before he died, i took him to the vet and they could find nothing wrong with him, they suggested changing his food (which i had already obviously tried!) but he died. so, this week, i bought another mini lop eared and the exact same thing happened. she refused to eat. she was housed exactly the same as the other, and the vets said that the way she was housed was perfectly acceptable, she had plenty of attention and excersice and yet she wouldnt eat or drink any water. she was , agian, very friendly and had no behavioural problems but unfortunately, she died this morning. i currently have rex and she is absolutely fine, i have had for a bout a weekbut no problems with her at all, she has a very healthy appetite and is friendly and gets plenty of excerise! i just dont understand! how can the same hting happen twice? the vets assured me that there was nothing i could have done, but its really botheringme and if anybody has any advice or similar stores please tell me how to prevent this happening again or simply let me know that im not alone!! :cry:

I'm sorry to hear you've lost your new rabbits.

Rabbits have very sensitive tummies and refusing to eat is very serious. If they go for more than 24 hours without eatings it's classed as an emergency. Your vet was very unhelpful.. the rabbits should have been given fluids, drugs to stimulate the appitite and she should have recommended you syringe feed them to get them eating. I suggest you have a look at other vets locally so if your current rabbit gets ill you have a good vet to go to for help.

As for what could have caused it... any change to a rabbits diet should be done gradually. So to start with you should feed the same diet as the place you got the rabbit from. If you want to change to a different brand of food or introduce a food they haven't had before such as vegetables you have to do it a little at a time.

Where did the rabbits come from? Some places will sell rabbits to young to be away from their mum - babies should be atleast 8 weeks old, any younger and they are very prone to gut problems. The conditions at the breeder can also influence if they didn't eat from the start they could have been sick already.

Getting rabbits diet right is hard work, they need to have plenty of hay and controlled portions of high fibre pellets. Watching the poop is a good early clue to problems if it's squidgy instead of hard and round or the rabbit stops producing it that is a symptom of their being a problem.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

i was going to ask the same where did the bunny come from and how old have they been?

i have none some young bunnies get taken away from there families too soon and can die of loneliness, have you been keeping the bunnies outside?

sorry to hear that you have now lost 2.

sophie

thanks

i bought the food that the rabbit was being fed on from the shop i bought the rabbit from, i didnt realise that 8 weeks was the minumum they could be taken away from their mums at, when i asked the woman at the pet store how old she was she told me she was seven weeks and that they had her for about a week. am not very happy with that at all. i bought the rex from a completely different shop and she is absolutely fine, very happy and healthy and she is 10 weeks old (approx). howver, thinking on it, the lop eared rabbit i had before these 2, the lop eared that i had previously was younger than eight weeks when i bought him, this is obviously a major factor. they shouldnt be selling them if they are not suposed to.
thanks tamsin
x

Back